Railroad Line Forums - Lou’s MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Lou’s MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?
Page: of 20

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  4:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Lou,

A nice 'guest' GM&O Rebel Red RS would look great pulling those cars.

Jim

Jim, that's a nice color on that locomotive also. I've got this old AHM RS-2 laying around doing nothing else for me, so for a fire train locomotive, as much as I'm going to run it, will workout just fine for me. The difference in an RS-1 and the RS-2 is they went from 1000hp to 1500hp. This saves me from tossing this locomotive away. After a paint job, some details and tender loving care, it will do the job in a siding.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  4:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Louis,

Wondering how far back railroads carried a roster of fire train cars I flipped through the 1888 Equipment Register and out of the several dozen rosters I checked only the UP listed anything, a “fire engine”. Might that be for a fire train? They also rostered “water and tank” cars.

Mike

Mike I looked for that Prototype car the kit used as inspiration, and found nothing. Goes back to far I guess. Any old fire fighting videos I've found on line show similar cars with old steam type locomotives in use.
I'm just going with the AHM RS-2 for effect and leave it at that. Just an effect look!

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  4:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The slicing and dicing has begun on the Tower Car body. The front has been cut off of the caboose shell, and will be re-glued to the rear section of the caboose shell making-up the Tower Car box. The middle section of the caboose body shell will be placed into the parts collection. After some sanding, filing and clean-up work on the body parts, they will be glued together and picture posted in the next construction progress.

Louis

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  4:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, quite a bit of progress here since the last time I checked in. You're on "fire" Louis.

Ok, I guess the RS-2 will have to do. I like the RS-1 body design better than the RS-2. The cab looks more like the cab of a steamer and the RS-1 doesn't have those round corners on the sheet metal. As long as it's a "burbling" Alco engine it'll do.

Bernd

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  09:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Wow, quite a bit of progress here since the last time I checked in. You're on "fire" Louis.

Ok, I guess the RS-2 will have to do. I like the RS-1 body design better than the RS-2. The cab looks more like the cab of a steamer and the RS-1 doesn't have those round corners on the sheet metal. As long as it's a "burbling" Alco engine it'll do.

Bernd

It'll be fine!

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  11:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I glued the cut off front end onto the box rear section for the Tower Car tool box/shed. And, made a cut at the roof section for an overhang. The yellow square on the caboose deck (in the picture) shows where the tower location will be placed. The front cutoff discarded section of the roof will find its way to the modeling parts box.

Louis

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  6:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see that you're off and making progress on the tower car. The cutting and fitting work is very clean and accurate, Louis...fine job as always. I like the idea of the RS2 pulling this equipment because there are no sparks or cinders to make matters worse in a fire situation!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  09:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

I see that you're off and making progress on the tower car. The cutting and fitting work is very clean and accurate, Louis...fine job as always. I like the idea of the RS2 pulling this equipment because there are no sparks or cinders to make matters worse in a fire situation!

Thanks Russ for your comments and thoughts. I hadn't given that a thought about the spark arrestors eliminating sparks or cinders from the situation.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  2:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The queen posts and brake has been mounted onto the caboose frame bottom. An end piece was made from styrene sheet to finish off the roof end that was cut. And parts were primed getting ready for the next step.

Louis

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  7:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those AHM engines from the 60s were outstanding runners...Yours will look great in red Louis. Speaking of looks'... Looks like you're having a blast building your fire fighting
train'.........

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  09:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Those AHM engines from the 60s were outstanding runners...Yours will look great in red Louis. Speaking of looks'... Looks like you're having a blast building your fire fighting
train'.........

Thanks Ted. And, Yes, it's been a fun build. I'm sorry I left it unbuilt all these years. However, all those unbuilt kits on my shelf saved me paying todays prices. So I guess that was a good thing.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  11:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The body Box/Tool Shed and frame of the Tower Car is just about finished. Constructing the operating tower will take some time to build. The piece of wooden decking from Master Creations that was left over from the Chemical car deck, (Picture 2) was cut to fit the Tower Car deck. (Picture #1). Also, picture #1 shows the newly constructed box/tool shed sitting on the frame, Master Creations wooden decking cut to size, Kadee #148 couplers that will be used, InterMountian 33” wheels that will be used, and Plastruct HO scale ABS Ladders along with Evergreen Angle stock, and Channel stock going to be used for the operating tower build.
The last picture is the drawing instructions for building the operating tower. There is an inner tower that slides up and down an outer tower. The drawing shows the stock to be used, and where it should go to construct this tower. Once I get it all figured out, and what goes where, I start the build. Other than this drawing in the instructions, there is text section stating “Materials, Plastruct Angle 1/16” & 3/64”, Channel 3/32” Refer to tower car construction drawing which is in HO sale.”
Well first it also says (Not to scale due to reproduction process) so I can’t use it as a guide, or template for building the tower. The only measurement I can find to go by, is the drawing shows the top view of the upper tower section, being 7/8” Max. I could scan this drawing and re-size it until I get that part at 7/8” and the rest will fall into place for me size wise.
And second, I have Evergreen stock, so that will be a substitute for the Plastruct called for in the kit instructions.

Louis

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  1:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is going to be an interesting part of the build, Louis. It looks complicated, but you make such things look easy, although I know better. I'm looking forward to way the upper tower slides up from the lower tower.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  3:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

This is going to be an interesting part of the build, Louis. It looks complicated, but you make such things look easy, although I know better. I'm looking forward to way the upper tower slides up from the lower tower.

Thanks Russ for your comments. It is complicated looking, and the instructions make it seem that way as well, but as I break down each step, it looks not so complicated after all.
I'm posting next, more information and a picture for others to see as an example of the tower build, and its function. I hope it makes since.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  3:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To clear up any misunderstanding, when I state the tower is operational, I mean this is done by manually by hand, pulling the tower top section up, and lowering the tower down by pushing the tower top section down by hand. Telescoping in and out of the lower tower section. See example of the telescope action in picture, and three other tower car towers built by others.

Louis

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000