Railroad Line Forums - Lou’s MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 153 ]  [ Total: 157 ]  [ Newest Member: Jozef ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Lou’s MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?
Page: of 20

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  1:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

That's looking real good Louis. Can't wait to see the tower car hooked to that consist.

I'm thinking you should come up with some kind of motive power to pull the fire train to fire.

Bernd

I agree! Every fire fighting train needs a fire engine to go with it.
A small diesel, something that wouldn't take to long to fire up so it can quickly respond.
Looking good Louis!

Greg Shinnie

Hi Greg, thanks for your comments and thoughts. I'm guessing a dedicated locomotive is a good idea after all.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  10:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd and Greg, after doing some research for fire fighting locomotives, my era 40's thru 50's show steam locomotives pulling these fire fighting equipment.
I guess I could use an RS-2 or a Proto SW9/1200 that I have on hand.
If it was your train would you use the RS or SW locomotive?

Louis

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  10:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Louis. And you could paint the engine Red , white and blue just like the American Flag! Just like the Spirit of America train.

Rich

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Bernd and Greg, after doing some research for fire fighting locomotives, my era 40's thru 50's show steam locomotives pulling these fire fighting equipment.

Louis, I'd like to see how both look with the cars then decide which one looks the best.

Greg

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  08:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

If it was my "fire fighting train" I'd have it pulled by an Alco, an RS-1 though. Love the looks of those engines, but if you don't have an RS-1 then I guess an RS-2 will do. Add white flags on the engine to designate the train as an "Extra".

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  08:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Looking great Louis. And you could paint the engine Red , white and blue just like the American Flag! Just like the Spirit of America train.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I'll most likely paint the locomotive red, the same colors as the cars, but the Red, White & Blue scheme is to modern for my layout.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  08:53:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

quote:

Louis, I'd like to see how both look with the cars then decide which one looks the best.

Greg

Thanks Greg. The SW may be to small to pull the fire train cars. We'll see.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  09:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

quote:

If it was my "fire fighting train" I'd have it pulled by an Alco, an RS-1 though. Love the looks of those engines, but if you don't have an RS-1 then I guess an RS-2 will do. Add white flags on the engine to designate the train as an "Extra".

Bernd

Thanks Bernd for your thoughts here. The RS-2 from the RS-1 isn't much different. The biggest change was horsepower in the RS-2 being larger. Here is a researched info; At the time of the RS2's production, Alco was essentially the early leader in road-switchers as railroads were quite pleased with the new lightweight, yet powerful design. The RS-2 locomotive sold slightly better than its early counterpart, the RS1, with the RS-2 new styling and increased horsepower. So, I may use the RS-2 for my fire train.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  09:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 in 1 Roundhouse Fire Fighting Tower Car:

Part #3: of the 3 in 1 Roundhouse Fire Fighting Train.

First picture shows in the instructions the Roundhouse kit suggested model build. Second picture shows the Prototype car used for inspiration for this kit.

Starting with picture #1, it shows the original Box car piece that was used for the Chemical car, and the leftover piece was supposed to be used for the Tower car. Where I used both ends of that shell for my Chemical car, I’m going to use a Roundhouse Caboose “Old Timer” #3430 (picture #2) for my Tower car box shed. Pictures #3 & 4 show the cuts I’ll be making to this Caboose shell for the Tower car use.

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  10:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

You’re off to a good start.

I really like the looks of the prototype. Any idea of the date? Looks early.

Mike

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  10:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, I like where this is going!

As to a "dedicated engine," I suspect that during Fire Season the railroad had an on-call engine ready to rock and roll, but that after the danger window closed, that engine was put to work doing other things and generally earning its keep.

So while it may be cool to paint it red with gold trim and fancy lettering saying "L&RFD Engine Five" and so on, it probably wouldn't please the CFO to have an expensive asset sitting in the shed for nine months of the year.... YMMV!

Pete
in Michigan

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  12:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Louis,

You’re off to a good start.

I really like the looks of the prototype. Any idea of the date? Looks early.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Not sure of the date, but I'm doing some research on the subject, see what I can come up with.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  12:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Louis, I like where this is going!

As to a "dedicated engine," I suspect that during Fire Season the railroad had an on-call engine ready to rock and roll, but that after the danger window closed, that engine was put to work doing other things and generally earning its keep.

So while it may be cool to paint it red with gold trim and fancy lettering saying "L&RFD Engine Five" and so on, it probably wouldn't please the CFO to have an expensive asset sitting in the shed for nine months of the year.... YMMV!

Pete
in Michigan

Thanks Pete for your comments and thoughts.
That's where I started off, just using any available standby locomotive for this service. The research I've come across shows whatever steam locomotive they had available was used.
However, after Bernd and Greg's thoughts on a matching locomotive, it sounded good as it is a modeling thing anyway, and would be somewhat cool and different looking.

Louis

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  1:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou,

A nice 'guest' GM&O Rebel Red RS would look great pulling those cars.

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  1:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Wondering how far back railroads carried a roster of fire train cars I flipped through the 1888 Equipment Register and out of the several dozen rosters I checked only the UP listed anything, a “fire engine”. Might that be for a fire train? They also rostered “water and tank” cars.

Mike

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000