Railroad Line Forums - Lou’s MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 2 | Guests: 147 ]  [ Total: 156 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Lou’s MDC Logging 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?
Page: of 20

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  4:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m a few weeks early posting this build, but this is going to be my start of the New Year project construction build. This Roundhouse 3 in 1 MoW Fire Fighting Train has been on my hobby shelf for many years waiting to be put together. After opening the kit, I found 2 crude metal 36’ Box car underframes and a 30’ covered hopper frame that needs a lot of filing, and cleaning to remove all the flash left on the metal frames. These will make up the start of a Water Car, Chemical Car and a Tower Car framework. Please check back, and following along with this build once I get started.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

potsy
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  4:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be following your build Louis

Mark

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  4:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those MDC project-starter kits sure had great potential! Looking forward to see what you do with this.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  10:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like an interesting and fun ride lies ahead. I don’t think I’ve seen many of these built.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  10:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll definitely be peeking over your shoulder.

I think I've got one buried some where in my collection.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  11:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Philip

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  11:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have those parts as well somewhere, just scattered now in several boxes on the shelves.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  07:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be interesting to follow.

George

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  08:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built that 3in1 set way back in the 70s. Parts of it still reside in the ‘somewhere’ section of storage boxes ‘down there’.

I look forward to Lou’s rendition of this old classic.

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  09:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou comes out with another buried treasure, this is better than 'Oak Island'. Of course we'll all be watching, but in Lou's case we can always count on seeing a great result.

Jim

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  11:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the support guys, posting your thoughts, and following along with this build. If you were to sacrifice a couple of box car kits and a couple of water car kits, you could follow this 3 in 1 kit to build the same fire fighting equipment. The hopper kit frame wouldn't really be needed.

I’m off starting with the water car that uses the kit supplied 30’ covered hopper frame. You could always use just the original tank car frame if you were to scratch build one for yourself, or use a flatcar frame, or even take the frame from another covered hopper kit to keep in line with the 3 in 1 build. The first thing to be done is to remove the center sill arms from both sides of the center channel, and the two bottom lugs (that the kit instructions forgot to mention) that attach the original hopper plates to the center sill as seen in the drawing from an original covered hopper instruction sheet I had, and used for your viewing. The kit instructions are very vague, and leave a lot to be desired. To start with, they left out the fact that you need to also remove the bottom lugs from the frame that were for attaching the hopper plates. Otherwise, if you were to leave them on, they would be sticking down doing nothing but being an eyesore.
This particular water car model is very close in appearance to the Southern Pacific Cars used in their fire patrol high in the Sierra Nevada’s.

Someone asked a few days ago in a Forum thread, what uses are good for owning a Dremel tool. Well cutting this cast metal is the best example answer. I started out trying to use a Zona saw with metal blade, well I’d still be trying to cut with that. The Dremel with a cut off wheel on the other hand, went through like cutting butter. Center sill arms and hopper plate lugs gone!

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, it looks like you have a burning desire to build this train, once and for all.
So I'll join in with your bucket brigade of followers, and watch you work on it.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  12:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, it looks like you have a burning desire to build this train, once and for all.
So I'll join in with your bucket brigade of followers, and watch you work on it.

Greg Shinnie

Thanks a lot Greg for posting, I'd miss those built-in jokes I look forward to all the time from you.
Were you ever a standup comedian anywhere?

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  1:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by desertdrover

quote:

Thanks a lot Greg for posting, I'd miss those built-in jokes I look forward to all the time from you.
Were you ever a standup comedian anywhere?

Only when I'm standing up in front of a mirror, that always makes me laugh!
I'm glad you enjoy my sense of humor, because it's not going to stop anytime soon.
I hope!

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  1:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll follow along!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  08:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

I'll follow along!!

Thanks Jerry for your support and valued comments along the way.

Louis

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: 1/72 Scale Narrow Gauge Modeling Topic Next Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000