Railroad Line Forums - Camel Mountain Southern
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 74 ]  [ Newest Member: John Prizzi ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Camel Mountain Southern
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: San Juan Central  

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  01:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I think I'm getting this figured out.

My railroad will be a freelanced, tongue in cheek, omage to the Rio Grande Southern. I have a 17'x17' garage of which about 12'x14' is usable for the layout. I've attached my current layout track plan (subject to change of course). My goals were to have some prototypical operations, with the ability to continuous run (something about just watching a train run around the layout is somehow cathartic to me at times.)and finally I wanted my locals to be in the order they would have been on the RGS even though mine are fictitious.

I have a lot of work to do on the garage before I can begin to start construction, so, unfortunately, don't expect to see and benchwork any time soon. While I'm getting the room ready I'll be building some structures and other things to keep my hand in.

Finally any feedback on anything I post in this thread is most welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  07:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scott,

It has a lot of promise. Is it to be DC or DCC?

Will there be much change in elevation? Looks like there wonít be. Of course the payoff is that you have a couple of continuous runs, one over most of the railroad.

Do have structures already or are you starting from scratch? How about motive power and rolling stock

Iím looking forward to seeing your garage finished so you can build layout; Iíll bet you are too.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  08:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Presumably narrow gauge, as you are posting in the HOn3 section.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  11:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
The layout will be DCC.

There is no elevation change. I played around with several designs that included elevation changes and it just ate up to much of the available space and pretty much forced the sidings to all be on a grade because of the lack of "mainline" run between sidings. I have yet to see an elegant solution to holding cars on a grade. The plan with this design is to create the four visually separate scenes. The four being the Ridgline/Reeko yards, the livestock loading at Platerville, Vince Jct. will be an interchange of sorts for the Pandemic branch with a tie and plank mill and a coal pocket for additional switching, and then finally the mill/mine complex at Pandemic. I'm hoping to be able to use backdrops and scenic dividers to visually separate the different scenes from each other.

The only built structure I have is the sandhouse for the yard and that's not finished. I have kits for the yard coaling tower and water tank and Santa is bringing me the Model Masterpieces Como Roundhouse Special Edition. I also have kits for one of the passenger stations, the coal pocket, the livestock loading pens and a Model Masterpieces ten stamp mill. I have what I think is a good start on the structure kits I'll need.

As for rolling stock I have about a dozen cars in various stages of completion and two locomotives, one an MMI K-27 and the other an Iron Horse C-21 both will need conversion to DCC and sound, but both IIRC ran like Swiss watches on straight DC.

Finishing the garage is going to take awhile as I need to clean up the "attic" above the garage and put down some decent flooring up there for storage, sheet rock one of the walls, paint and then some type of floor covering. Additionally I need to put in heat and air conditioning, but the air handler for heat and air conditioning is in the garage so that should be to big a deal.

David,
Yeah it's gonna be a freelanced three foot "Colorado" narrow gauge line.

Thanks,
Scott

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  12:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, I'm sure you know this and may have considered it as well but you can change scenery elevation without changing track elevation. Have ravines to cross over and tunnels to go through...
Looking forward to see your progress.
Cheers,
Dave

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

Scott, I'm sure you know this and may have considered it as well but you can change scenery elevation without changing track elevation. Have ravines to cross over and tunnels to go through...
Looking forward to see your progress.
Cheers,
Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the input. The plan is to use open bench work topped with 3/8" ply then two layers of 2" pink foam. The foam will allow me to do as you suggest and carve ravines, creeks to trestle over etc. If you look at the track plan, you'll see some of the track as dashed lines. Those are hidden tracks and as such wherever a dashed track meets a solid one on the track plan there will be a tunnel. Additionally the mine/mill area at Pandemic I envision to have the mines and mills right in the town proper like Virginia City Nevada during the Comstock Lode era. Although not shown on the track plan, most of the area between the mines and mills at Pandemic with be town. Actually I was incorrect when I said the layout won't have any elevation change, the mill trackage at Pandemic will be elevated above the siding to give a "built into the side of the hill" effect.

Thanks,
Scott

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  2:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you need any help building any of those kits and live north of chicago, let me know, I'm in.

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 12/07/2018 :  4:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kebmo

if you need any help building any of those kits and live north of chicago, let me know, I'm in.

Kevin,

While I do live north of Chicago, I also live quite a bit west also, I'm in Battleground, Wa. I suppose I could send you the kit and you could mail me back the completed structure. Thanks for the offer.

Scott

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  12:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well just to let everyone know I haven't been totally ignoring the railroad. Work has been crazy and I've been turning very quickly at home. (Traffic always picks up before the holidays.) I've made some changes to the track plan. I was able to get the third track in at Vince Jct, I switched the lead for the livestock loading to the other end of Platerville (prevents the engine from being in the tunnel while switching) and I shortened up turntable lead track and moved the whole yard closer to the roundhouse to get a little more visual separation between the exit of the yard and Pandemic. Additionally I raised Pandemic, Platerville and Vince Jct. about 5" above the yard. This was again to get better visual/scenic separation between the yard exit and Pandemic. The main out of the yard now climbs at about a 3% grade up to just before it come out onto the wye. It's then level through Pandemic and then descends on about a 1.5% grade when leaving Pandemic and reconnects with the main coming out of Ridgline at the hidden switch.
I got the first big hurdle done on prepping the garage, that was getting rid of a 1926 Model T coupe body sitting on a 29 frame. Now all I have to do is finish flooring in the "attic", sheet rock one wall of the garage, putting down some floor covering and generally getting rid of all the junk that accumulates in a garage. Should be easy.

Merry Christmas
Scott

Edited by - Hawghead on 12/20/2018 1:14:15 PM

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  2:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and will have a happy New Year.

Just wanted to post what I hope will be the final draft of the track plan for the C.M.S. I flipped it around and added a wye between Platerville and Vince Jct. so trains going Ridgline to Vince Jct. and back don't have to go onto the Pandemic "branch" to turn their power. Please feel free to comment/provide feedback.

Scott

Edited by - Hawghead on 01/01/2019 2:38:37 PM

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  9:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, stilling working on getting the garage ready as a layout room. Additionally things have been very busy at work, I'm spending more time at my away from home terminal then I am at home. I've been updating the track plan and it's now a point to point (I'll post the updated version soon.) It does bring me to a question though. The new track plan is going to have two decks on one end and was wonder if you all have any thoughts on what the distance between the two decks should be. The lower level will be about 28" deep and the upper level will be about 26" deep.

Scott

Topic Next Topic: San Juan Central  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000