Railroad Line Forums - Grandt Line
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 51 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Grandt Line
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Changing to HO Scale Topic Next Topic: Accurail 7700 help  

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  1:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Not sure where to post this but could anyone tell me what is happening with Grandtline?

I'm in the middle of a scratch-building project and cannot proceed until I purchase more doors and windows.

The site is still active but it seems there are new owners. I've emailed the new owners a couple of times but have had no reply. I'm not sure how or where to place an order.

Any advice would be very helpful.

K

http://thedepotonline.com/

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  1:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

I've emailed the new owners a couple of times but have had no reply, too. And so has Jerry (Trains1941), also no reply.

If it were me, I would order from Tichy Train Group. They have pretty much the same windows and doors as Grandt Line. There is a current sale on with percentage discount, starting tomorrow. I have no affiliation with Tichy, but just want product fulfilled. Hope this helps.

Rich

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  2:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is the new owners of Grandt Line will start rolling stuff out next year. They just got the remaining Grandt inventory and more importantly the casting equipment. So we'll need to be patient. But in the meantime, if Tichy has an equivalent product (and they do have a lot of similar/matching windows), that's your best bet. There are some suppliers on eBay who have reasonable inventories of some Grandt parts. And if you get -really stuck-, you can always post here to see if someone can help you out.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  2:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it wasn't just me having issues. I'll check out Tichy Train Group and keep my fingers crossed that GrandtLine will be back to normal next year as I can't survive without them. Only just found out about all this as I've been away from the hobby for most of this year.

Thanks for the replies.

k

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  6:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Kumar,

I've emailed the new owners a couple of times but have had no reply, too. And so has Jerry (Trains1941), also no reply.

If it were me, I would order from Tichy Train Group. They have pretty much the same windows and doors as Grandt Line. There is a current sale on with percentage discount, starting tomorrow. I have no affiliation with Tichy, but just want product fulfilled. Hope this helps.

Rich

I had no response for the O scale parts I wanted so I ordered them from Tichy. Yet they were at the NNGC back in September.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/22/2018 7:00:29 PM

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  7:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://sanjuanmodelco.com/ purchased the line. It appears the Grandt Line stuff will be called San Juan Details. The Grandt people wanted the name to end, but the products to continue.

As you can tell from looking over the website, they bought several product lines and are merging them into San Juan Model Co.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2018 :  12:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks again.

I checked the Tichy Train Group line of products and it looks like they have what I need. Iím not yet sure if their range is as good (or better?) than Grandt Line but it will get me through the next few months until the Grandt Line products become available again.

It would be nice to get some news from San Juan Details so we could plan ahead accordingly.

K

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2018 :  3:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always liked Grandt Line products, and they were very nice to deal with. However, Don Tichy products, are just as good and doors/windows come with shades and glass. Plus they have a great set of garage/station/warehouse, doors that Grandt Line did not offer... Also, a very nice sale going on presently..

ted :<)

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 11/23/2018 7:28:19 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2018 :  4:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iíve purchased both companyís products over the years with no complaint. Turnaround time from Tichy has always been good.

Mike

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2018 :  5:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I normally buy direct from Tichy. By direct, I mean I pick them up at Timonium from Don himself! Can't beat that.

However, one thing I learned a while back is that specific styles of doors and windows tend to make the project. I scratchbuilt a building based on one I had found photos of on the internet. I used the wrong doors/windows and it just didn't quite have the same look and feel to it.

Because of this, I purchased a bunch of items from Grandt so I'd be covered. It'll probably last me years and I'm ok with that.

Don't forget that Campbell's also sells doors and windows.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/24/2018 :  7:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was able to order exactly what I needed from Tichy Train Group - their windows and doors matched the prototype exactly (well close enough). I'm excited to compare the ranges. Still looking forward to Grandt Line range being made available but glad that there were other options I could turn to.

Thanks all for you help. You can read about this project here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46675&whichpage=24

I'm going to post some progress in the next day or so.

K

Edited by - kumard on 11/24/2018 9:11:31 PM

Previous Topic: Changing to HO Scale Topic Next Topic: Accurail 7700 help  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000