Railroad Line Forums - Brick Detail in “3-D printing”
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Brick Detail in “3-D printing”
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR Topic Next Topic: Building a Jordan Kit Part 3  

TC
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2018 :  7:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m not terribly familiar with the 3-D print technology currently available., I’m wondering does anyone here know how fine can the resolution & detail of brick walls be executed? I’ve seen a few examples here and there and the resolution seems a bit “chunky” and more like block rather than brick at a scale size of 1:87 for example. Thoughts or experiences?

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  08:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi TC,

I'm sorry that I've never figured out how to put a link directly to a post here. But, if you go to to the 'Startin' from Scratch forum, and search back for a year and search on 'YA3DP' you will see some cobblestone brick. A little sandpaper softens the edges, or limiting the extrusion height also works.

Jim

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  08:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doh! I just figured it out.

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?Topic_ID=49414&SearchTerms=YA3DP

Jim

Mr Skratch
New Hire

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  10:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well there are a couple of different types of 3d printers on the market - the 2 most popular being FDM and SLA style printers. FDM (filamnet spool) is limited in its resolution but can get a large king size brick or CMU block printed with a decent and acceptable look. The SLA printers (resin based) can easily achieve high quality brick work in any configuration without much limitation.

FDM print beds tend to be in the 9x9x9 size while SLA print beds tend to be in the 3x5x6 size. FDM is cheaper and easier but lacks the resolution that an SLA printer can achieve.

I own a Prusa MK2s and have used it for over a year now with a pretty big learning curve to get a quality I felt acceptable....that being said - I'm ordering an SLA printer in order to get better overall quality with several types of small details.

A cheap FDM printer is not going to yield acceptable results in my honest opinion. A Prusa or CR-10 are really the only 2 that will produce a decent brick look - just my opinion.

If you are looking to get into 3d-printing, you will just need to have a patient mindset - they take a little tinkering and you need to learn how to model (fusion 360 is free and awesome).

Previous Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR Topic Next Topic: Building a Jordan Kit Part 3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000