Railroad Line Forums - On building MoW cars
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 On building MoW cars
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart Topic Next Topic: A Tilt-a-Whirl project
Page: of 12

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  10:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next box of goodies in the queue that claim to be a MoW car waiting to be built.....

Lots of wood, a nice brass K brake casting, some nice brass steps, and other "stuff".

It's no wonder I can't find 1/2 of the parts and supplies I know I have - they're all spread out and inside the stack of project boxes!

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  7:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep. I recently rediscovered some 'lost' wheelsets that I KNEW I had purchased, and I had - and then promptly divvied them out into the kits I thought I'd be using them in. No doubt I will, but in the mean time I had other plans for them so I ended up robbing Peter to pay Paul, even though I had given Peter the goods to begin with!

Looking forward to see what this box of goodies becomes.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  12:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slow going on this one since there too many other projects in the way, but some progress. Basic underbody framing and train line installed

Got the roof overhand ends are settled out as well. Bit of 4x6 card glued on top and individual boards glued underside of that - quite stiff and strong. Just trim to what's needed and done.

Rough out the sides and ends next and maybe more on the underbody.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  09:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sides and ends roughed out and with mounting bits glued into place.

Started in on adding the underbody bits...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  11:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good. Martin. Im working on figuring out what it will look like.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  12:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Looks good. Martin. Im working on figuring out what it will look like.

Mike,

I frequently don't know what it's going to look like until it's done,

The lack of constraint is where I have the most fun!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  4:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A part here. A part there. But if youre not careful you will be yelling Its alive!!

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  10:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

A part here. A part there. But if youre not careful you will be yelling Its alive!!

I have found that if I change the poles from plus to minus and from minus to plus that I am capable of bestowing animation upon lifeless matter....

Moving on......got the doors and windows set into the ends and sides all slightly modified, cut apart and reassembled and bits added here and there...

Edited by - mwbpequod on 03/10/2019 10:20:40 AM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  09:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the end railing installed a bit of sheet lead for a little weight.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  10:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Underbody installed - truss are not up on the queen posts yet...

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  2:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No turnbuckles on the truss rods? (Seems to me that by the 1880s, turnbuckles were pretty much standard practice.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  2:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

No turnbuckles on the truss rods? (Seems to me that by the 1880s, turnbuckles were pretty much standard practice.)

Look again, Dave. They are there on each truss rod, Look for the familiar Tichy rust red color bits. The truss rods just are not up in place and so the turnbuckles are also not quite in place yet and are off center.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  2:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Look again, Dave. They are there on each truss rod, Look for the familiar Tichy rust red color bits. The truss rods just are not up in place and so the turnbuckles are also not quite in place yet and are off center.

Boy, they are HARD to see!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  2:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for you, Dave...

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2019 :  09:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
End railings in place....excess "truss rod" line trimmed away...

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Ferris Wheel Restart Topic Next Topic: A Tilt-a-Whirl project  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000