Railroad Line Forums - On building MoW cars
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 60 ]  [ Total: 61 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 On building MoW cars
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Tenement and other builds - The return Topic Next Topic: Time Clock House
Page: of 8

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  08:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slapped a first coat of paint on the sides and added in a few bits to see where this car might be going....and it's going to take more paint and more bits, but it's getting somewhere.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

Edited by - mwbpequod on 01/20/2019 11:51:45 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  10:00:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like.

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  10:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the door slides inside the car, up to the point where the handle hits the car side? (I'd expect an outside door sliding to the left, looking at this car. An inside door is a pain in the ass when loading the car.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  1:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

So the door slides inside the car, up to the point where the handle hits the car side? (I'd expect an outside door sliding to the left, looking at this car. An inside door is a pain in the ass when loading the car.)

Yes, and MoW not really freight so being a PITA is sort of a requirement. Makes those grabs to the one side usable, too. And, when have I ever been known for the expected?

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  7:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely not an ordinary car. Itís very credible as a one-off piece of equipment.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  09:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Definitely not an ordinary car. Itís very credible as a one-off piece of equipment.

Thanks, Mike. Being MoW there's almost this requirement of uniqueness and local shop built from whatever character that's to be embraced.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  09:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, this one's all wrapped up and getting cleared from the bench to make room for the next in this series....

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  10:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like! Nicely done!

Pete
in Michigan

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  5:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On to the next car!

Nothing like a cold winter's day to get something built in the shop,

Got the floor done and sides mapped out, a narrowed roof section set out. Got one end of the roof milled out for the overhang over the end platform. Heck of mess with a Dremel end mill and drum sander, but doable.

Two ends roughed out and the doors for the ends set.

I'm slowing down on these and I have several more to do sitting in the virtual queue waiting their turn on the bench. I need more hours and a bigger bench!

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  07:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

On to the next car!

Nothing like a cold winter's day to get something built in the shop,

Got the floor done and sides mapped out, a narrowed roof section set out. Got one end of the roof milled out for the overhang over the end platform. Heck of mess with a Dremel end mill and drum sander, but doable.

Two ends roughed out and the doors for the ends set.
I'm slowing down on these and I have several more to do sitting in the virtual queue waiting their turn on the bench. I need more hours and a bigger bench!

Absolutely correct on those cold winter days and not enough room on the bench.

Looking closely at the build I got an idea. Those truck bolsters gave me an idea of trying to cast my own for TT scale. Don't know why it's taken this long to come up with that idea. Your builds are always fun to follow.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  08:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Looking closely at the build I got an idea. Those truck bolsters gave me an idea of trying to cast my own for TT scale. Don't know why it's taken this long to come up with that idea.

Yes, doing that saves time & money in the end if you're building a lot of cars over time. I've got a parts bin of them and 3 other types in another. Sell them by the pair cheap to pay off my resin bill@

quote:
Your builds are always fun to follow.

Thanks! If you're not having fun, you've gotten into the wrong hobby!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  09:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not everything in this hobby is equally fun. I spent much of yesterday cussing at wiring.

dave

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  09:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Not everything in this hobby is equally fun. I spent much of yesterday cussing at wiring.

I do the same. Still amazes me that wiring a house is easier than doing the layout,

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  09:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other part of that 'not-fun' is my track was marginal at best, and over the winter it developed lots of kinks. I do not have the patience to rip it out and redo it! Hopefully it'll be good enough to get trains to run, but I might end up with a very large diorama!

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  11:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

I certainly like the look of your fire car. The CVRR has a very talented car shop.

Your newest car is intriguing.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: The Tenement and other builds - The return Topic Next Topic: Time Clock House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000