Railroad Line Forums - A small expansion to my layout.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 A small expansion to my layout.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog
Page: of 2

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  5:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had this weird jog in my fascia for a bit and I thought I might expand the layout a bit to smooth it out:

The current look was the result of a few other expansions, one to add the sawmill, another to add a larger station. I also didn't like the 1" fascia lip that was added between the two. So today I started to remove the fascia so I could add on to the layout.

It took about an hour to remove the fascia, disconnecting the wiring for the structure lights, the turntable and a few turnouts. Fortunately, most of my turnouts are manual operation.
I'm also considering changing out the fascia from the brown painted hardboard to something with some wood grain.

And this is where I am now. When I first started I thought I'd just add a 4" strip (the green line) to the layout, but then I figured I may as well expand out the edge of the sawmill, making the new section 15 1/2 inches long on the sawmill side, 4 inches on the station side and 48" long. That way I'll have room for more structures and scenery.
I'll be cutting the plywood for the new section tomorrow at work.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  6:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rsther than straight line, how about a. Nice soft S curve?

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  7:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Glen, but what about that vintage TV set on the floor?

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  10:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that s-curve idea does have some merit, I'll just have to see if I can bend my new fascia around it. Carl, that ancient TV is my wife's that she bought before we were married, it just lives under the layout, slowly getting hurried as the layout expands.

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  08:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you are using tempered masonite, it Will bend readily.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  10:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the idea, David. However I'm not using tempered hardboard this time but some high-grade 1/4" plywood with a nice grain to it. I like the looks that it will give. That's why I'll be sticking to the angles instead of the curve
I cut the plywood at work today:

I just wanted to see what it looked like before I cut the diagonal part off.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  09:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh the possibilities.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  10:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will you be able to reach the track at the Stamp MIll ok?

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  9:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibilities indeed Frank, I have some plans for this new space, including an ice house kit I've had for a number of years.
Before I started pulling everything apart I used some masking tap to outline where the new extension will go. I checked my reach and I can still reach the stamp mill and surrounding track. Of course it helps that I'm 6'9" tall.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  01:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How will you reach the back of the layout?

It's only make-believe

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  10:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
perhaps you can earn extra hobby money playing for the celtics......

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  11:56:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The owner of the sawmill will be happy to have a rail connection to the outside world.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  7:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys. Mike the sawmill already has two track going to it. This expansion won't be adding any track, just space for some more buildings and scenery.
Speaking of which:

I cut the new piece to size and screwed it into place. I ran some 2X2 stringers off the original benchwork so it's nice and solid. The masking tape is marking where the roads will go.

These are the structures that I hope to fit into the new area. Earl's oil, Magees tire repair and The Shady Grove Gas station from Bar Mills, and Juneco's 250ton ice house. I've had the ice house in my collection for close to 10 years. That's one of the main reasons for the expansion. I have a few other structure kits as well but I don't want to overcrowd the area either so I'll see what they look like.

With the benchwork in place, I started to replace the fascia. I used the old piece to line up where the cutouts for the switch panel and DCC outlet will go.

I installed it to the layout using the same 'button' hardware that I used with the old fascia. I have some clear stain that I'll use when everything is replaced. Some smaller parts of the old fascia are glued in place and probably won't come out without damaging the scenery around them. I plan to paint those part in black so they look like trim.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  8:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, this new section looks like an opportunity for more fun!
Though you being 6'9" tall, you should definitely be considering a 2 tier layout there.
Best of luck with your new real estate.

Greg Shinnie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  9:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice addition Glen'.. More fun for sure..

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2018 :  12:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Glen.

I think you are right not to clutter things too much - there are some lovely scenes behind you will be able to 'frame' with your foreground scenery. Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: SL&N construction blog  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000