Railroad Line Forums - Changing to HO Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Changing to HO Scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My RDG Rolling Stock Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line
Page: of 2

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  6:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, I haven't left the hobby. My Sn3 layout work came to a grinding halt when I found myself in a corner. Sn3 brass steam was out of the question because of cost so, as an alternative, I planned to build a couple of Sn3 electric locos with pantographs to run under catenary. All of the hand-laid track and and custom turnouts were DCC-ready and all set to go. The locos were to be DCC equipped and run on track power. Well, that would require getting motorized trucks for scratchbuilding the locos and that's where the problems started.

I searched for Sn3 motorized trucks from all of the known manufacturers like Hollywood Foundry, NWSL, the distributors of the Bull Ant motorized trucks etc. and found that no one makes them in Sn3 either r-t-r or custom any longer! I'm not that skilled enough to fabricate my own, although I researched the possibility, and that ended the layout. I ripped up the track and wiring, saving the Tortoise motors and as much useable wire and other parts as I could.

I've decided to come back home to HO once more. The new layout will be a mythical freight car transfer yard between the DL&W and the Erie located in Paterson, NJ circa 1950. I already have diesels and rolling stock built or bought over the years that are era correct and now I'm ready to start funding the hand-laid track and turnouts after the holidays. I'll post the track plan soon and I'll keep members updated on the progress.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  7:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be interesting to see how you tackle this new road!

I'll be watching.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  10:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back home. Hon3 is easier, but some of the big manufacturers are falling by the wayside quickly. Shinohara is gone for track. Blackstone is having issues.

Standard gauge is alive and strong.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/22/2018 6:08:48 PM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  08:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that I have the track removed, I first have to sand the adhesive off that was used to hold the insulation foam board track sub-base to the table plywood. It seems some of the mounting screws holding the plywood to the frame have been hidden by adhesive and it's almost impossible to simply chisel off. If a good weather day comes along next week, I'll get the layout top and frame up from the basement and outside for sanding the top smooth with my belt sander. That's something that I don't want to do inside the house.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  10:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, it sounds like you have a plan!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  10:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Sn3 is the perfect scale for a narrow gauge layout. Too bad it's not popular enough for a larger manufacturer to be involved.

Keep us posted on the new layout, Russ.

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  11:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sn3 is the perfect scale, George, and it's a shame that one loco manufacturer dominates the market. It's the lack of affordable steam power that, I think, keep modelers out of the scale. It's also a shame that I sold off my brass HO rolling stock and a few brass diesels to fund a layout that had to get torn up, but it's time to move on with another one. I've learned from my mistakes on the first layout and the lessons will help me in the future, I'm sure.

Edited by - slimrails on 11/15/2018 11:36:20 AM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  5:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, so here's what I have for a draft of the track plan. The original layout was 4' 4 x 7', but now includes an extension that brings it to my maximum length of 10' with the addition on the end section that allows for a little width. The idea is to run switching, both to on-line industries and the East/West storage yards, with a section of the transfer facility being in the center. Erie locos will bring in cars for transfer from the South and hand them over to the DL&W track to the North for further movement to the DL&W's Paterson City Yard. Empties or loaded cars awaiting train make-up for the Erie will be in the East/West yards. I put the two-track yard lead at a diagonal to get a longer length. Although it looks crowded, all tracks are at least 1 1/4" apart. I also put in #6 turnouts and 24" radius curves to accommodate a baggage car and some 50' box cars. I'm open to suggestions, so tell me what you think.

Edited by - slimrails on 11/15/2018 5:19:46 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  11:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My first reaction is that the single runaround in the upper left corner will be awkward for a number of moves.
I'd see if I could fit another crossover into the two parallel tracks running from lower left to upper right.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  05:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a good suggestion. By eliminating the crossover on the two upper left tracks, that would allow for them to be yard tracks. Adding another crossover to the two diagonal tracks makes sense from the stand point of making/breaking trains and I'll see if I can fit it in. I have a hard time visualizing switching ops on a larger scale and that's where I need the help from other members. Thanks!

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  08:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What...no place to store Italian provisions, just Polish? Somebody in town is going to have Hell to pay without Parmesan cheese for the pasta!

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/20/2018 08:19:36 AM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  09:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

What...no place to store Italian provisions, just Polish? Somebody in town is going to have Hell to pay without Parmesan cheese for the pasta!

Both my wife and I are from Polish heritage, so no slight was intended. Perhaps a pizza place in the retail strip would do?

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2018 :  6:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taking jbvb's suggestion, I altered the track plan so there are two cross-overs on the two-track yard leads. I think this makes sense because, with two switchers at work, a freight could be taken apart or put together more easily. Comments are always welcome.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2018 :  9:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks better. One thing to consider is that a runaround's two tail tracks don't have to be equal lengths.
Sometimes it can fit an operating pattern better if one tail track is long and the other can hold only an engine
and one car or caboose. Sketch out the moves you'd be making for the traffic you describe (you can make it into
a switching problem on paper, like the old magazine articles if you want) and see if what you have is efficient.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where it says to east and west yards will they be removable staging yards or actually modeled Russ?

Mike

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  4:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have the room to expand any further, Mike, so the "To" designation is just the direction in which the shown yard leads go or, in this case, don't go.

Edited by - slimrails on 11/22/2018 5:41:55 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: My RDG Rolling Stock Topic Next Topic: Grandt Line  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000