Railroad Line Forums - Wild Horse Island Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 241 ]  [ Total: 242 ]  [ Newest Member: Canyon man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Wild Horse Island Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NNY RR Topic Next Topic: Building A CNJ Camelback B-3a in Z scale.
Page: of 8

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  8:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the pluses outweigh the minuses. More of your fine buildings is a big plus. And you do wetlands so wonderfully. A more realistic bridge: another plus.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  9:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itís been quite a while since Iíve posted. Not a lot changed and I continued to debate whether to expand the layout. The pros; I could use the two bridges Iíd built but to this point am not using including a swing bridge that I really spent a lot of time building (although both have Code 40 rail and Iím using Kato unitrack), I could have a large marshland area (something that I really enjoy the look of in real life and would be able to enjoy if done right inside), a longer mainline run, and removal of the track at the entry of the harbor which really annoyed me because itís just not a natural place for a water crossing and the resultant more logical harbor entry.

The cons; taking up more space in a small bedroom that I share as a hobby room with my wife, having to relocate a working crossing gate/crossing lights, a major construction project, more wiring, figuring out the track work.

And the decision, I decided to go for it. Below is a picture of the current end of the layout followed by pics of initial construction of the marshland. I decided to just lay the Kato track on top of the bridge tracks instead of pulling up the Code 40 rail. Although itís a bit artificial looking, Iíd rather save the bridges as is and this seems like a good compromise.

Progress is slow as work is really keeping me busy (Iím in government public health.). I sneak in an hour or so a week on the layout and itís a good stress relief. Hope everyone stays safe.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2020 :  08:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you working on this again Dave!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2020 :  09:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More of your wonderful modeling is always good news.

Vince P
New Hire

Posted - 04/12/2020 :  5:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just went thru all your posts.

Like the way this turned out will be following along.

Vince P

CNE1899
New Hire

Posted - 04/29/2020 :  5:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read through your thread. Very impressive modeling skills and nice photos!

With that large water area, might you be interested in modeling some ship traffic?

There is an opportunity to have different vessels for the different industries.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/29/2020 :  11:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Dave you sure have come a long way.

Great modeling as usual.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  10:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good looking addition!

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/24/2020 :  11:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would like to thank everyone for the encouragement. Much appreciated.

Have not had much time to work on the layout but have gotten a bit done. The scenery is roughed in and I've started painting the water. Have an the initial paint down but think the channel is a bit too blue for a marsh/relatively shallow waterway. I probably will add some brown and see if it looks a bit better. After that, I'll apply a gloss coat of acrylic. The sand banks need touch up and I have to build the marsh areas. At least it's not pink foam. A long way to go before any train running.

And yes Scott, I would like to build a ship model once I have every thing put back together, get the trains running and the details added. It will probably be a fishing trawler.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2020 :  12:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like your Nueva Laguna a lot. It is really going to be sharp.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2020 :  07:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/31/2020 :  10:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I liked the initial water look, I felt it gave the impression of too deep a channel and the water looked too clean. After a lot of experimentation with my first efforts messing things up more than fixing things, I finally got close to what I had been picturing. i think the water now better reflects the area I'm modeling with a shallower murkier channel and sand bars.

I'll be putting marsh grass over a lot of the area which is my next step.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  06:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The low angle shots look really good.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  08:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like it too.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: NNY RR Topic Next Topic: Building A CNJ Camelback B-3a in Z scale.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000