Railroad Line Forums - Wild Horse Island Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Wild Horse Island Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: N Scale Midland & Dorchester Railroad Topic Next Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #23  2019
Page: of 6

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, that sea wall looks so good that I can hear the water splashing against it.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  07:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Dave!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  08:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your wall, Dave. I saw Kathy's video too and tried some making some stonework with craft foam. The Cricut's rollers left marks on the foam. Did you have that problem?

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  09:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks wonderfully real, Dave.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  2:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

I like your wall, Dave. I saw Kathy's video too and tried some making some stonework with craft foam. The Cricut's rollers left marks on the foam. Did you have that problem?

George

George,

I had the same problem with the roller marks. The heat gun brought out some of the indentations and some are hidden in the stone pattern.

Have noticed youve been using Cricut a bit and not up to your level. Guessing that a smooth side or smaller pattern (unlike my larger stones) would show the roller marks. Id like to look at using Cricut a bit more.

Thanks
Dave

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  4:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave I was thinking about a smaller pattern too. The Cricut has a lot of potential, and I'm still finding new uses.

George

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  08:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like this layout, your grass, trees, and landscape look particularly evocative. Keep sharing your progress

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2019 :  1:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always my thanks to everyone for taking a look and for the encouraging comments.

I've added some more ground cover and now 3/4 of the layout has at least a basic scenery base. Also added some small details to the backdrop which adds a bit of depth. Still debating whether to paint some more detailed cloud cover.

Am really enjoying the impact of lighting. I'll add a few more in the harbor area but don't want to go overboard (pardon the pun.) Will put a few lights on the wharf and also navigation lights around the harbor entrance when I get around to detailing that area.

Next steps are to continue covering the pink foam, ballasting and blending in the track, and working trees into the rear right corner. If I can only get catzilla to stop jumping up on the layout and eating my scenic trees

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  07:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  09:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just came across this thread, very well done so far. Looking forward to more posts.

Michael

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  12:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good so far.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  6:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The night-time scene is very noir. I like it.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  12:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few days off from work for the holiday gave me some time to continue adding basic scenery.

I use foam board as a base, work on most of the ground cover off of the layout and then glue the foam board to the pink insulation board that is the base for the track. There are two reasons for this approach. The first is that the foam board raises the scenery to the track level which is one of the ways I'm using to hide the Kato sectional track high profile. The second reason is to keep the messy work away from the finished part of the layout.

I focused on the back of the wharf area and the Nassawadox Lumber Company this weekend. Also added trees in the back right corner.

One thing that is working out well is the limited visibility of the track with most of the center of my 3'x5' area, with the exception of the lumber spur, railroad free. The harbor and the town draw the eyes away from the track minimizing the oval circle that I have around the edge. This helps me feel a bit of distance as the train travels in a circle. As it transverses the back edge it goes in and out of sight if viewed from ground level.

I'll next work on the town but progress will not be as rapid as I return to the, "real world."

First pic is of the harbor building that now has trees in the background and the second is from the land side which I've not photographed before because there wasn't any scenery prior to this weekend. The pile on the decking is shucked oyster shells.

Next five pics are of the Nassawadox Lumber Company area with the 2 pics of the actual building.

Edited by - Grubes on 07/07/2019 2:12:29 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  07:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, you just need to add some people, vehicles and maybe a wharf rat or two and some seagulls.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  07:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The scenes you show are remote-looking, both model and prototype. Successful modeling, in my book.

Mike

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: N Scale Midland & Dorchester Railroad Topic Next Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #23  2019  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000