Railroad Line Forums - Wild Horse Island Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Wild Horse Island Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Page: of 6

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  08:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent job of scenery, especially the roads. I like the contrast between the modern container area and the old buildings.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  08:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  10:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weathered the sea wall and added some details to the area where docking would occur. Questioning my sanity when I decided to and N scale NBW castings. Only did the top wood plank and will decide if I have the patience for the bottom.

Today is a major project. I purchased a DC ready GP-9 at train show last weekend. Then ordered a Tsunami2 and speaker gambling that I'd be able to install. That probably won't happen as now that I've received the decoder, it' not going to fit in the frame. So I've used an old GP-38 shell instead as Atlas N scale frame/motors for 4 wheeled engines seem to be similar. I'll be installing the decoder today.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  12:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
very clever the way you figured out how to disguise the unitrack. you can't even tell it's unitrack in the finished areas. great work. nice little layout!

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2019 :  08:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice work on the seawall!

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  11:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress has been slow, but at least there's progress.

Some lows. I tried installing a Tsunami sound decoder and have only succeeded in destroying three of them. SoundTraxx has excellent customer service and replaced the first two. I feel that it's my ineptitude that somehow is causing the decoder destruction and have decided not to send the third back for a replacement. Really uncertain what has happened. I did succeed in hooking the decoders to my motors and getting them to run, then all of the sudden, they'd short our or stop working. I'm guessing some aspect of user error. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

...and a high. I've painted and placed acrylic gel on the harbor water. I'm pleased with the outcome and it's nice to not have a pink foam basin. Still tying to figure out what kind of bridge to put at the harbor entrance. My original intent was a lift bridge but now feel that it's too much of a detractor from the overall scene. I'm thinking about a swing bridge which would allow boats with up to a 30ft beam to get through the harbor opening. No final decisions.

Below are some pics of the water scene.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  11:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave great work. Love that night scene!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  12:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Excellent modeling. Your water always looks so wet and cold. And the nighttime scene: wow.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  08:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  09:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding modeling. Your streets, the rails in concrete and this latest build with water scene and night lighting is fantastic!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  3:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, I also like your water and lighting. Regarding decoders, I feel your pain. Even in HO scale, and even when I did the installation myself, I'm reluctant to take DCC locos apart, lest I push a wire into the drivetrain, pinch through the insulation or otherwise let the smoke out.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  10:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave. Looks great. I especially like your low level shots. Nice water & plenty of atmosphere.
And interestingly, I was just looking at that Ian Rice track plan last night.

Looking forward to more progress reports.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  12:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only just saw this thread, Dave. Awesome work! Love how it's coming together. Keep it up.
Cheers,
Dave

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking water front area, Dave.

George

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  2:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your kind words.

I wanted the seawall opposite the container dock to be stone. I'd read on Kathy Millet's site how she'd used foam and a desktop cutter to create brick and decided I'd try this approach as my wife is very into card making and uses a Cricket cutter.

She was able to find a stone pattern on Etsy for $3.00 and after downloading it and using the Cicket to cut the pattern I was pleased with the design.

I used acrylics to weather the foam and I'm very satisfied with the results. Once I'd installed the wall, I used grout for the sand at the base, colored then added another layer of acrylic gel to the harbor (It's still drying which is why the water surface looks a bit white in the pictures below.)

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000