Railroad Line Forums - Wild Horse Island Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Wild Horse Island Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Page: of 6

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  12:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
've been able to get quite a bit done since my last posting. The crossing gate parts finally arrived and I now have it operational. It's really enjoyable to watch it work. On a small layout like mine, creating mini-scenes helps visually enlarge the illusion and having the crossing as a focus is one way to create such a mini-scene.

I've also finished a lot of the scenery around the crossing. Although the Kato track isn't as realistic as my former hand laid Code 40, I think the overall look is acceptable after painting the ties, rail and raising he scenery so that the plastic roadbed is hidden and the high profile is reduced.

Next steps are the backdrop (just bought a 4x8 piece of styrene) and the container area.

Below are pics of my former and modified track plan as I'd mentioned in the previous post and pictures of the lower left area of the layout with scenery added.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  08:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  11:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More progress. Finished and installed the backdrop. I went with a grey sky but the highlights are a bit too subtle and I'll be doing a bit of touchup.

Also installed guardrails and lights on the road into Nassawadox. I used Woodland Scenics plug in light system with minor modifications to the light poles. Just a bit more to do in the lower corner and I'll move on. Somewhere in the future I'll come back and detail the area.

Attached are pics that show an overview of the layout, and some day and night shots of the lower left corner.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  10:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. I stand in awe over the realism you achieve. I just love that road, trees, and building in the scenicked area.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  11:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Dave. I like the way you did the roads.

George

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  1:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've begun work on the container facility located in the back left section. I'll confess I've always had difficulties with simulating concrete and this was the case again.

I wanted the facility to be on a concrete slab and went about attempting the build. My first shot was a failure in color and height. I'd actually installed the "concrete" and had to rip it out.
I'm using foam and the foam I chose was two high. It was unrealistic looking and more important blocked the train's wheels. I ripped it out and started over.

Again using foam, but thinner, I first covered it with a very thin layer of spackle. I then used greys and buff acrylics followed by grey weathering chalk. I'm ok with it but not thrilled with the texture/color. Even though I sanded before painting, it's still a bit uneven which is exacerbated when you work in n scale.

I'm now working on ensuring the track is free of obstacles. I did put guide track around the rail. I used code 40 upside down on the outside and right-side up on the inside. You can see this in the ground level picture below.

Next step is to install the fence then the lighting. I bought a mi-jack crane for the scene which will be my next build.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  2:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continuing on with the container area. I've added fencing, lighting and have worked a bit more on weathering of the concrete. I've also added some trees in the back corner where there will be a connection with staging through the backdrop.

Next step is the Walthers Mi-Jack crane build.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  3:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Dave. Looking forward to the crane.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  09:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2019 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A small bit of progress; some background pines to see how they'll look and preparing the sea wall for construction. Been making sure that track work has no kinks and running some trains.

I've purchased Walthers HO seawall hoping it would look ok and not oversized for N scale. I'm pleased with the look and after I weather it I think it will work for me. Picture below shows it temp in place straight out of the package. By coincidence, (I wish I was smart enough to have planned it) the Walthers seawalll is exactly the height of my dock. Sometimes you get lucky.

A

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2019 :  6:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, I really like the way that you model your roads. They look like some around here!

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2019 :  11:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  12:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  07:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming from south Florida I have seen a zillion seawalls and they come in all different sizes, shapes and materials so no problem, it looks great!

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000