Railroad Line Forums - Wild Horse Island Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Wild Horse Island Railroad
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: NNY RR
Page: of 2

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  3:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a great looking wharf scene.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  4:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Frank nice looking wharf!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  9:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Looks like a vibrant community. I like what youíve done with the original plan.

Mike

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  11:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
From your original design and photo, I notice you've found room for a few additions to the track plan. It looks vastly improved with movement of the silos. The added tracks and the wharf area fleshed out. Nice!

(One of the many here named) Dave

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 11/17/2018 11:14:58 PM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  03:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking good.

I think the road shape is a nice leading line into the scene - a nice kind of lazy-S. And then the way it angles to the left running parallel to the inside diagonal track, helps to take the attention away from the tracks running parallel to the front of the layout.

Looking forward to seeing the rolling lift bridge.

Cheers, Mark.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  08:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Mike

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  09:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If you need ideas for the bridge, check out the US RT1 Bridge in Mystic Conneticut. Very unique. Never seen it modeled.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  10:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been waiting for the parts to complete the working crossing gates/lights which has delayed any major progress. In the meantime I've experimented with road construction and have settled on thin foam as the base. Picture below shows the foam and some practice with weathering. I like the texture and overall effect.

I'm enjoying the electronic aspects of the hobby, it's something I've not really dealt with before with the exception of basic DCC, engine and switch decoders. I'll confess that the Digitrax advertisement for signals in a recent Model Railroader reeled me in.

I've always been amazed with layouts that had working signals and although my theme is a small harbor, I've decided to install a basic signal system.

First step after researching was to learn JMRI as all systems seem to require a computer interface. I've never used anything like this before but after some trial error and, a bit of frustration, I've created a track plan with blocks and a signal theme using the software's Panel Pro, been able to interface with my layout and have created working blocks that display occupied track on my computer screen. This also required purchase of block detection hardware and a layout to computer interface unit. I'm using Digiitrax for all components. (Picture 2)

I'm enjoying being able to control my turnouts from the computer and seeing the track detection as the train moves around. I've not yet purchased signals or the signal controllers. This isn't an inexpensive venture and need to spread out the purchases.

The automated crossing also requires block detection hardware along with the hardware to move the gates. The time and money invested isn't small, but I'm excited about the automation and overall additions.

Finally, have put down some of the roads and parking areas using the foam to get a better feel of the overall look and have stared planning the actual scenery in some of the areas.

Regarding my goal of having a working lift bridge; David, thanks for the recommendation. I'm looking at the bridge in Galveston, Tx that I get a chance to see during some of my travels down here. If anyone has any ideas of how a lift design I'd appreciate some advice.

Dave

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  10:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chevk out the Ohio St, and Michigan St Lift bridges in Buffalo. The are bith on the Buffalo River, serving access to the grain elevators.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  10:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It takes some motivation for me to do much with electrics and electronics but when I dive in itís fun, especially learning something new as you are doing.

I like the looks of what youíve done on with both electrons and asphalt.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 Topic Next Topic: NNY RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000