Railroad Line Forums - Wild Horse Island Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 247 ]  [ Total: 248 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Wild Horse Island Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The D&RGW in 1/300 Scale Topic Next Topic: Diesels Come to the D&RGW in Nn3
Page: of 11

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2020 :  12:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! This is really some excellent modeling!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/27/2020 :  10:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A major accomplishment as I've finished the Wild Horse Island causeway bridge that links the mainland with the island. I started with 3 Rix n-scale bridge kits and modified the pylons, added street light platforms and lights and also added a utility pipe along the front side.

The bridge gives me some depth as one of the things that I'm not thrilled about is the track basically running a circle along the edges of the benchwork. I did this so that I have max radius but it reduces the appearance of the track running through the scenery. Putting the bridge in front of the trestle over the marshland helps and I'll add some other details in between the track and the fascia as time goes on.

I still have to finish the decking but the rest is mostly done. The first pictures are prior to painting and adding the details and the last 2 are after the painting and addition of lights and pipe.

Expecting a delivery of from Scenery Express this week so that I can start some second layer scenery.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2020 :  11:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The causeway bridge looks great.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  09:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bridge looks great. Like the pipe (water?) alongside.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  11:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both bridges look great.

George

Fly Army

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  1:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice causeway, I think I've driven over it once or twice. I remember driving over those seems in the concrete slabs, ka-thump-ka-thump.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/28/2020 1:50:58 PM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  2:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks great, especially the low views along the bridges.

Cheers, Mark.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  3:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, that came out well. Are your street lights WeHonest? I got something similar in HO a couple of years ago.

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  11:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That causeway does look the part! I grew up on the Jersey shore, and that looks like a scene I remember growing up. Love how the marsh looks as well.

Scott

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  02:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave. Looks excellent. The marshland looks so realistic, and rarely modelled.

I like the causeway bridge. I've been looking for some similar type sides for an elevated road to be part of my new layout, so those Rix items look ideal.
The pipe along the side is a nice touch too.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  10:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always appreciate the looks and the comments.

James, the lights are from Woodland Scenics (N scale) plug in system.

Scott, probably am influenced by the Jersey Shore; grew up in Philly and my parents live in Margate.

Yes Frank, the residents do complain about the Kablunk when they drive across :)

Received my scenery package in the mail and added some texture to the marshlands along with increasing the density of some of the marsh grass. The changes are subtile and not as evident in the pictures but with the naked eye there's less of an artificial look. First few pics show the terrain.

Also have finished the surface of the bridge, built up the embankment on the far side with Sculptimold and added the far side road. I cut a bit of the water surface away so that the bridge piers are more embedded in the ground which also levels the bridge with the adjacent roadway. I hid the lighting wiring and ran it through the benchwork with the intent to hook it up next week. Gonna call this done for a bit and at some point hope to find or make some N scale seagulls that I'd add.

Next week hope to connect all of the lamps I have already on the layout that were either disconnected during construction of the add-on section or by one of the cats. I also have to touch-up many of the areas that have plaster showing or that need a bit more TLC.

Edited by - Grubes on 01/03/2021 10:07:19 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  12:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This gets better with every post. Amazing work!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  08:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, living in Tidewater Virginia and having made many trips over to the Delmarva Peninsula, I think you've done a great job of capturing the look of the area.

George

Fly Army

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  08:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, even with the disruption 0f construction around them your pine trees look really good.
You mention they are wire. Is there a description anyplace on how you made them?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  09:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: The D&RGW in 1/300 Scale Topic Next Topic: Diesels Come to the D&RGW in Nn3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000