Railroad Line Forums - Louís Logging Oxen Flatcar
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: onetelo ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Louís Logging Oxen Flatcar
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Pacific Coast Air Line in 55n3
Page: of 5

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  10:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awhile back many of you seen my logging horse car build. You can find my Logging Horse Flatcar build here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48573
Now I am attempting to build an Oxen flatcar for my logging company. Like before, I had found some "G" scale models, from Lothar Gauf, a guy called the diorama man, of Ox cars, see two pictures of his work below. It is his fantastic builds that give me the inspiration for these types of projects.

Where these types of backwoods equipment were conjured up in backwoods shops, I going to use my artistic license and build my own version, using the parts shown below found at a local train show. An old Tyco caboose for the chassis/flatcar frame, Doctor Benís lumber for the decking and building materiel, some old figures, and badly painted cattle also found, to be repainted and turned into Oxen.

An ox (plural oxen), is a bovine trained as a draft animal or riding animal. Oxen are commonly castrated adult male cattle, castration makes the animals more docile. Cows (adult females) or bulls (intact males) may also be used in some areas.
My fire doesnít burn as fast as it used to, so bear with me as I complete this build. It may be a Week, a Month or again who knows.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  07:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Louis,

Good to see you in action again. I'll be looking in on any new activity. Your creations give me inspiration.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  08:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, this looks like another interesting project from you. I'll enjoy watching you moove along with this one.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Hey Louis,

Good to see you in action again. I'll be looking in on any new activity. Your creations give me inspiration.

Bernd

quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, this looks like another interesting project from you. I'll enjoy watching you moove along with this one.

Greg Shinnie

Thanks Bernd & Greg for always following along with advice and support.
Turning these great "G" scale models, into HO scale models, is also the most fun for me with these type of projects.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  08:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis, I see youíre breaking free from the yoke of conventionality once again. Excellent.

I imagine the puns will be flying like turds from a manure spreader. Your readers have very fertile imaginations.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  11:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou,

Looking forward to another of your creative builds and the beastly comments.
Watch out for those Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Jim

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  1:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like you have assembled most of the materials needed, Louis. I'll be following along.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  3:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, Jim and Bruce for your comments.
The first idea and change Iím going to make is that two of my Oxen will be wearing a yoke, and become a team. So after tossing around some ideas on how to build it, I put together some parts to use. See picture for yoke parts.

For those of you that like research and prototype information read here;
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58d68e502994ca9ba729256b/t/5a32b019652deab175f0e85e/1513271353620/Improving+Ox+Yokes+TechGuide.pdf

Basically find a hardwood beam approximately 50 to 80 inches long and about 6 to 10 inches across/deep. The size of the beam will depend a lot on the ultimate size of the oxen. Cut neck areas and smooth out the edges until they are fairly smooth and round out the depressions where the necks of the oxen will go. Use a drill to puncture four holes through the yoke. Near each edge, above the area where you've grooved out the neck depressions, drill two holes right through. Base their width on the width of your oxen's neck. Do likewise above the other neck depression. You want these holes to be about 1.5 to 2 inches wide. Cut two lengths of bow stock for the neck braces. These will be 50 to 70 inches long and rounded. You want these two lengths to be about 1.5 to 2 inches wide. Steam heat them, and then bend them both into a U shape. Bend them so they correspond to the width of the spaces between each pair of holes on each end of the yoke. Drill a horizontal hole into one end of each of the U shaped bow stock pieces. Carve a wooden peg which will slide through this hole and snugly fit within it. Insert the bow stock pieces into paired holes on each end of the yoke and notch them so they stay in place. The yoke is basically done.
As seen in the picture below, Iím going to use a match stick (scale measurement for HO scale) for the yoke top beam depth, and another piece of the match stick glued to the first to build up for the yoke width, where I cut out the neck depressions to form the yoke shape. Also, a jump ring for yoke, and pieces of floral wire to form the two Ox neck bows will be used.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  3:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another cool Louis project to follow. Watching too.....

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  11:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Another cool Louis project to follow. Watching too.....

Thanks Carl!

I scaled down the Yoke drawing template to HO scale, and printed three copies so I could make up a couple of extra yokes for the logging company. A template will be cut out, and glued with white glue to a piece of the matchstick as a guide to form the yoke. The yoke is small enough you could use styrene, cardboard, balsa wood, or even paper stock. Iím just one of those modelers that like to go just short of insanity when detail making.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  2:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover
Iím just one of those modelers that like to go just short of insanity when detail making.

I think you have some competition from Tony Burgess. And that's no bull!

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  3:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover
Iím just one of those modelers that like to go just short of insanity when detail making.

I think you have some competition from Tony Burgess. And that's no bull!

Bernd

That's a fact Bernd, Tony is another, one of many members of this great Forum's modeling obsessions.

Here's an update; I took the match stick and cut it in half, gluing the two pieces together to make up the wood width needed for the yoke. After gluing the yoke paper templates to the wooden matchstick, cutout the front yoke shape with modeling tools of your choice as I did. Then cut around the top template for the final shape of the yoke. Now you just have to sand lightly the yoke edges and around the neck areas. Pictures below show where I am at for the moment. Test fit (and camera shots that bring out what else is needed) shows a little more sanding and shaping is needed. Than onto drilling the neck bow holes into the yoke. After drilling the holes for the neck bows from the top template, sand the paper template remains from the wood and stain, paint or just leave it a natural wood look. I believe Iíll be staining mine with a brown leather dye mixture.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  8:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More update: Below is the finished Oxen Yoke. The 4mm jump ring that I was going to use for the center hitch point ring was too large, so I substituted that ring using a link from a piece of chain I had, and attached it to the yoke using a Diesel Details #2206 wire eye bolt. Shown in the picture below. I scraped the green cloth off of the 24 Ga. Floral wire and formed two yoke neck bows to slide into the yoke where the holes were drilled out on each side for the Oxen necks. The wooden yoke was stained using a brown leather dye stain mixture. The wire neck bows will be painted brown to look like wood once the yoke is placed onto the Oxen. The wire neck bows are a secure sprung fit into the yoke, so the yoke can be removable from the Oxen team.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  08:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Looking good Louis. Geez...you can almost smell the aroma from Lothar Gauf's G scale build!
Looking forward to your buildÖ

Bob

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  09:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, nice work on piecing that all together!
I'm not yoking either.

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  09:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

Looking good Louis. Geez...you can almost smell the aroma from Lothar Gauf's G scale build!
Looking forward to your buildÖ

Bob

Thanks Bob! Yes Gauf's G scale work is fantastic. And, being that size you've got to make everything look good to the eye. We get to cheat doing it in HO scale. Thanks for following along.

Page: of 5 Topic Next Topic: Pacific Coast Air Line in 55n3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000