Railroad Line Forums - Campbell #400 Stockyard (ME Nelson) build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: onetelo ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Campbell #400 Stockyard (ME Nelson) build
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Oxen Flatcar Topic Next Topic: E. Stryde Metal Co.  

ebergh
Section Hand

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  7:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My current project was the Campbell #400 Stockyard (ME Nelson). I managed to modify it a bit to fit my layout's needs...The layout is set in 1962, along the edge of the SF Bay's suburbs where the rural ranches are fading away to be replaced by the suburban sprawl, and Hobby Ranches and horse stables are becoming the new norm. My Stockyard represents a couple of the old guys from the ranch days who are hanging on as Stock Brokers, providing premium stock to these folks, shipping in/out their fancy horses and arranging transport for the still popular annual Rodeo participants and their mounts. So, they have added some horse stalls and cleaned up their act, a bit!
Campbell kits have recently been updated with some laser cut sheet stock, and refreshed paperwork, but they are still pretty much the same - a nice reliable build. Having DIGITAL CALIPERS does make it go a lot easier! So does a nice stash of strip wood...
I did add interior/exterior lighting and detailing, but it will never be seen, as this one is 2ft from the front... good practice I guess.

Edited by - ebergh on 10/30/2018 8:33:30 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  11:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eric,

It looks to me that you made a number of additions and enhancements. Very nice.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ebergh
Section Hand

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  11:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Thanks! Yeah, a few changes... the kit gives you the Scale house, the two covered sheds for the cattle w/ two large paddocks, two loading ramps and connecting gates/fences. I added more stalls, gates, fences, the stables, water tank, feed sheds and manure pile plus a bunch of various castings... got kinda carried away I guess trying to make something that was kinda logical. Made a bunch of decal signs too. That rodeo does indeed happen here each year!

ebergh
Section Hand

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  02:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, The dark brown "manure' is recycled coffee grounds (treated w/ a bit of Lysol spray) from a few coffee pods. Smells better!

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  09:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric,

You've done an excellent job of setting up this scene. I'd like to make one suggestion that would add just a bit more realism. The 'pens' are way too sterile. You might consider washing the perimeter of the 'stuff' out to, and just beyond the pen walls. Then brush some of the 'stuff' on to the lower boards of the pen. That's why they sell those hip boot galoshes to cattlemen.

I've played with Photoshop, and take a look at the right most pen and pile in the foreground. What do you think?

Jim

Download Attachment: 20181030202632_3. top view.jpg
71.36 KB

Edited by - BurleyJim on 10/31/2018 10:21:52 AM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  10:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric, great looking scene that you have corralled together there!
You have definitely put your brand on it.
I would love to see a night shot with the lights on, if that's not to much trouble for ya.

Greg Shinnie

ebergh
Section Hand

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  11:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I like your suggestion! It's a great improvement. Gonna do it! Greg: Gonna be awhile before I get around to wiring it into the layout, but eventually... and then I will put one up for you :)

ebergh
Section Hand

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  4:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I finished the wiring on the lighting, and although the structure is not yet installed on the layout, I have a few pics I can share. I wanted to have some exterior lighting around the Scale House/Office areas and the horse stalls figuring those might be areas that would see use in the evenings. I also added interior lights over the scales and in the office and one of the horse stalls. The lights are all micro LEDs that came with an attached resistor. I added shades to the exterior ones.

Boy, I could NOT figure out how to convince the digital camera to take both in focus pictures AND not use the flash! So, these are with the iPhone...

I did go back and add more coffee/manure as suggested by Burley Jim. Thanks!

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  4:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic! Try using a 'Gobo' (black opaque paper) in front of your pop up flash. I can hear those animals settling down.

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  9:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Lights add a lot to the scene.

Mike

ebergh
Section Hand

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  9:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike.
-e

Previous Topic: Louís Logging Oxen Flatcar Topic Next Topic: E. Stryde Metal Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000