Railroad Line Forums - Dbl-deck Layout in its Own Train Shed
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Dbl-deck Layout in its Own Train Shed
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Manual Turnout Control by Cable Topic Next Topic: Single slip, Double slip, or mysterious switch
Page: of 5

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  3:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Container Crane

I was looking thru the internet for container cranes and found this rather interesting one. Its described as a Bachmann (European one I believe), 44-0009 Container Terminal Crane by Bachmann in OO scale. Pretty neat.

I like this one !

How about doubled up !!

A large resin model of a modern container crane. This model features a very high level of detail including etched railings, fixed container crane unit, glazed windows and a weathered finish. This is a large model so will sit nicely as a center piece in a dock yard or industrial scene.
Measurements:

Length: 227mm
Width: 266mm
Height: 348mm

Brian

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  01:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Are these cranes only be being used to lift containers from rail car to rail car & not to/from trucks?

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  10:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know yet Andy,...kind of depends on my limited size in the peninsula.

Original thoughts were the crane(s)would just be lifting containers off of the cars on 2 tracks, and depositing them over in stacks located in the aisle area (imagination required here....ha...ha). Trucks would pick them up there.

Or maybe lifting them off cars on one 'delivery track', and loading them on second 'outgoing track'??

Of course it might be neat if some of the containers were actually unloaded from the cars, then the empty cars shuffled around a little bit. BUT I don't think these unloaded (unweighted) well cars track very well??

Brian

Edited by - railandsail on 11/30/2018 10:16:28 AM

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  10:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trackage Explanation

quote:
I may be missing something, but it looks like this ladder doesn't connect to the mainline

I guess some of my photos and dwgs can be a little confusing at times, particularly when I keep playing around with mock-ups.

That yard ladder connects to one of the mainlines down in the lower left area. The tracks on that left wall of the layout are:

1) first, the track along the wall that connects with the staging area tracks via several 'sub'-loops of the helix.

2) next out is one of the mainlines that goes into a level loop in the helix, then....

3) comes back out to present itself as the second mainline along the frieght yard. That's the one the yard ladder connects to on its bottom end. That second mainline is also where the steam engines from the coaling tower enter the fray.

Further down along that side of the layout there will be a double crossover between these 2 mainlines,...that will allow for the trains to reverse direction around the layout as a whole.

And it will also allow for the big steam locos coming out of the turntable area to get over to the outer mainline to head-up certain trains coming up out of staging.

Brian

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  09:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Full Size Drawing

Two days ago I decided I was going to make a full scale dwg of my freight yard ladder trackplan so I could 'record' what I had mocked up on my living room floor,....and I could make it very exact with the scale size paper templates available from Peco.

I have a nice 4x8 table out in my carport to lay a paper out on and tape the turnout templates to it. Then all I would have to do when it comes to laying the actual track onto the plywood roadbed is lay this rolled-up paper dwg down as a guide.

So I was looking around for suitable paper to make this dwg on. Being budget minded I thought what about all this Christmas wrapping paper available from the dollar stores,...using the white backside?? I was NOT really impressed with its 'sturdiness' .

My contractor friend suggested a roll of brown paper they utilized to protect floors during construction/painting/etc. I got some from him, and started the dwg / pasting project. Had to quite over night so i covered it over with a bedsheet and some vapor barrier material they use on houses. Next morning I found the paper had still absorbed some moisture and was wriggled up in a note too inviting manner. My thoughts were 'what sort of accuracy' was I going to end up with here after spending much time accurately laying out out my track plan??

'Back to the drawing board', I believe they say. Going to have to find some alternative paper. And probably need to roll it up each night, and put it inside.

PS: What made things more challenging was trying to keep those small paper templates of the switches corralled in the small wind gust that keep invading the carport....ha...ha

Brian

Edited by - railandsail on 12/04/2018 09:28:16 AM

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  10:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Single or Double Slip Turnout

So here is my particular situation. I have two spur lines off of the mainlines feeding my peninsula area. It is desired that these 2 entering lines be able to select between either of 2 lines themselves. The most 'compact' manner to do such a thing is a slip switch.

A single slip switch accomplishes just what I want to do,...take the entering train and curve it around onto the same side, or cross it over to the other side. It does this in one single selection of the controller. It can remain on one single selection and do the same thing for trains entering from either track,...cross them over, or leave then curving around on the 'same track'.

Another nice feature of the single slip is that should the train stop, then get reversed while over this turnout, the train will NOT try to pick the opposite track and derail,,,as it might well do on a double slip switch. Is my thinking correct??

Since the double slip switch has 'another set of point rails' at its other end, that ARE NOT always set in the correct position, the train could well back up and try to chose a different route than it came in on. In other words it requires 2 control settings to get the dbl-slip to act in the manner I seek above, ….plus when I change the incoming route I have to make TWO selections to get it to operate like the single slip that I did not have to make any new selections.??

Overall view (sorry, still just a paste in for the peninsula plan as I have not finished final plan for it)

Enlarged peninsula (again, somewhat representative)

Slip switch location

Single or Double

The 2 tracks coming off the slip switch will be feeding the two container unloading/loading tracks located either side of that 'passenger station' in the original Tupper Lake plan.

The track on the left next to the aisle will be the 'escape track' for the locos that pulled the trains into the peninsula area to escape back to the freight yard area or the turntable,...a 22” radius one & a 24” radius one for bigger steamers.

Container crane (block of wood) straddling container tracks

Brian

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  8:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pinwheel Ladder Preference for Staging

If I power all of the turnouts with switch motors they could all be located on the front curving edge of the staging deck plywood,...within relatively easy reach for servicing/replacement. Or they might even be manually controlled from the front edge of that staging deck??
Brian

Here is my first mock-up using Peco mediums. Got interrupted with having to do eye surgery today (just cataract), so it will be a day or so before I get back to it.

BTW I am doing this mock-up on a piece of plywood at the main deck level rather than my staging level that will be 8" lower.

And that piece of white paper taped to the rear wall is actually a depiction of the 3-way turnout that feeds the staging tracks, and is located just on the other side of that back wall.

Brian

Edited by - railandsail on 12/14/2018 8:05:53 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  10:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian,

That’s looking pretty good.

Mike

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  08:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Refining that Mock-up of Staging Yard Ladders

First I had to assembly all of the Peco mediums together in a firm manner so they could be moved around as a group in that pinwheel ladder configuration. Then I went searching for how I could make them line up correctly with the shelf I was planning down each side. I found I could now get 6 tracks down the side in a14" depth shelf, with a 2 1/8" center between tracks.

None of the connecting tracks are less than 24" radi.

Then I went to mocking up the center peninsula staging that includes 6 more tracks on a 13 inch wide shelf located under the 24" peninsula main deck above it.

All the turnouts in these photos are Peco mediums

Then I drew in a proposed curve line that would represent the outer edge of the staging track shelf in the area of the pinwheel ladder.

I'm hoping to rig up some 'fixtures' mounted on that strip of shelf just outside of the turnouts that will allow a cable type manual operation of the individual turnouts, ie, wire within a plastic tube that would come up to a small panel mounted of the front face of the main deck's edge at the front of the aisle.

Anyone with ideas (links)to that subject matter??

Brian

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Manual Turnout Control by Cable Topic Next Topic: Single slip, Double slip, or mysterious switch  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000