Railroad Line Forums - Dbl-deck Layout in its Own Train Shed
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: CUT CEO ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Dbl-deck Layout in its Own Train Shed
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Operations on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Page Viewing Size?
Page: of 3

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  11:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
{B]Objective:
I want to build a double-deck, around-the-wall, peninsula style layout in a 12x16 Handi-house shed I have prepared for the job.

Why its Own Shed [/B]
Over the years I have seen many really nice train layouts that had to be cut-up (and destroyed) in order to remove them from their home place, due to either the owner's having passed away, or his moving to another residence. Very often they are rather a custom fit in their home built environment, and thus aren’t likely candidates for a new special location. I'm even currently in possession of a very nicely detailed waterfront scene that had to be cut out of an estate sale layout, and I am hoping to incorporate it into my new layout, but I see problems on the horizon.

With these experiences in mind I decided that I would purchase a stand alone Handi-House shed, and build my new layout in there. Then if I should change residence again, I can simply load that shed onto a trailer and move the whole layout to a new location. Or if I should pass away my wife could sell the layout and shed as an entity, and the buyer could move it to his new location.

I retired to a trailer home here in St Augustine, and it had an almost full length carport attached to it. I thought why not pull that new shed into the back portion of the carport and take advantage of the extra shade provided by the carport cover over the shed. It was a tight fit, and in fact to get a 12 foot wide shed into my carport I had to move all 5 of its support columns out a distance of 1 foot (had to pour concrete footer for those new column locations). I also had to remove 3 big beams attached to the underside of the shed in order to get enough clearance to fit under the carport's roof (I had initially given considerations to chopping the peak off of the shed), but became convinced I'd rather trim the height by modifying the bottom. I needed only a few inches, but it became a major undertaking. And I did this all by myself at the age of 74 using skid pads I made and a come-along attached to a tree in the back yard.

I have now just finished insulating the entire shed and installing a ceiling fan and a small air conditioner. My interior dimensions with the insulation all in is now 11 inches short of the overall dimensions of the 12x16 shed, ie; 11' 1” by 15' 1”

I want to build a dbl-deck, around-the-wall, with a peninsula layout. At first I was wondering if the peninsula might project out from one of the 'long walls' of the shed, but I am now convinced that the peninsula needs to project out from the 'back narrow wall' of this shed that sits at the opposite end from the opening door at the other end.

I intend to have a helix (likely single tracked) to move the trains between the 2 decks. And since the helix’s take up so much room, I intend to make the helix structure in its own 'box' external to the interior of the shed. This will be like a 'winged box' structure hung off a rear corner of the shed, about 5-6 foot in size to house the 26-30 inch radius helix. There will be two small holes in the shed's metal siding to allow the train to enter and exit the helix. At the moment I am imagining the train will enter the helix at an opening just off center of the shed's wall at the rear of the peninsula, and proceed its upward climb to the top deck, where it will reenter the shed over near the a perimeter (side) wall.

Brian
Brian

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  11:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried to edit my posting, and was unable to do so??

Brian

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  12:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian, editing the first post in a thread is a known forum bug.
It can be done, but most people just write a short intro in their first message and then go into detail and post pictures in the second message where it can be easily edited.

Here's a link on how to edit the first post in a thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35711

As you think, so will you be.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  3:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting, Brian.

I'm looking forward to some more information and to see how your project progresses.

I had a little doodle - you may want to consider a long U-shape, with one side of the U being the peninsula, and placing the U in your room so that the peninsula side of the U is not against the wall. This would give you room for wider isle space and the potential to curve your fascia. Of course you could put a view divider down the centre of the peninsula. Its a bit of a case of less is more.

A few years back I hacked several square feet out of my layout in order to open up views of my layout that had developed in its creation. The removal of those square feet made the layout appear significantly larger. This is why I suggest curving the fascia and layout shape. You have to also consider that you need room to view all your hard work.

Cheers, Mark.

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  3:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the 'editing' hint Rick, but since it was primarily a grammar situation I'm going to just leave it as it is and see how I make out with additional postings.

I really am quite far along with my thoughts, and some construction of this new layout, but additional input is always welcome

Brian

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  4:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here is my train shed I moved into my carport. Putting it under the carport roof was a great idea, as it insulates it from direct sunlight. Combined with the insulation I added to the walls and the ceiling of the shed (in between the 2x4 studding) really makes a difference. Then I added a ceiling fan and a small window type AC unit.

Brian

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  4:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a strong preference for steam engines, but have collected lots of diesels as well. So lets say I will model that transition era were both were utilized. I am also not a strict time frame person that feels a need to model any particular era. I just like the looks of model trains, particularly the highly detailed ones that have come out over the past 15 years.

I found myself liking those big C&O, B&O, NW steam locos, but also some of the Santa Fe ones. And I couldn't resist a number of those Santa Fe diesels with their marvelous paint schemes that harkened back to when I was a kid.

So one my first major layout (the Atlas Central Midland) I ran all of these different lines, and would explain that my railroad went from the east coast to the west coast,...Baltimore to California.

I'm imagining doing something similar with this new layout,....the lower deck level will be the 'Baltimore' theme, progressing up thru the mountains of Appalachian mountains (coal county) to the upper layer western mountains supporting logging trains, and finally to a Santa Fe train station. The mountainous areas will exist on both the lower and upper decks of the layout at the base root of the peninsula(s),...I'm thinking...

Brian

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  4:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little history of my first thought processes

So lets start out thinking of the track plan for just the lower level. As I said I have 2 plans in mind that I tend to like very much, but the need to be melted together. The first of these was published way back in 1991, and was called the Anon & Muss .

It had a 'blob' at either side of the entrance way to the layout, and another one at the head of the peninsula. At the root of the peninsula it had crossing track configurations that would allow for greater radius turns from the tracks running down each side of the space into the peninsula area, ….particularly good if I intend to 'squeeze' this plan down into a more overall narrower shape than the original plan. There were a number of these 'crossing tracks' woven into 'over and under' configurations that might be best handled in a 'mountainous area'......the Appalachians I spoke of before..

Another thing interesting about this layout design was expressed in the description of its design, … “the notion that's reflected in the premise behind the A&M track plan. You can have easy (hassle free) operation even with several trains running simultaneously on a single track. Make the layout two separate lines. Interconnections between lines would allow the layout to be run as one railroad. Each route could be constructed independently if the lines were judiciously located to each other. ….

The MUSS loop can be run completely independently of the ANON loop”

I like to run trains, particularly multiple trains of different configurations, and simultaneously. That’s one reason I like this double loop scheme, and it might even be more versatile if I can place a removable bridge across the shed's entrance to the layout.

Brian

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  4:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The layouts original designer even posted a comment,...
quote:
Glad you like this plan from my book, but realize it was created to meet specific parameters set by my design client. The article text describes most of them, but essentially it was for continuous running with a few spurs added for interest. Those spurs include 2 tracks near the TT for displayling passenger train equipment.

Also note that the design is at least 25 years old and doesn't match current thinking about prototypes and operation. It will be interesting to see what changes you make.

Don Mitchell

Brian

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  4:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian,

Just curious about something ... did you post this thread on another forum about a year or so ago? Everything seems familiar to me that you posted so far ... I know that I read it before but can't remember where.

Take care,
Rob.

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  4:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lone Pine & Tonopah RR

I spoke previously of 2 layout plans that were very interesting to me to review in my effort to arrive at a combo of two. That second layout was the Lone Pine & Tonopah. The dwg I have on file came from a Nov 1993 issue of Model Railroader mag. I believe he has since made a number of changes to this original design.

No matter as I would seek to make a number of changes as well to it in order for it to scale down to fit my shed. Its more the concept I would be looking at. I have mentioned that I might be looking at the Balt/east coast theme for the lower level of my layout. With that in mind I would be interested in that roundhouse scene and city backdrop being located somewhat similar on that right hand side 'blob' of my layout as one enters the layout. I have a goodly number of real nice steam engines I would like to be 'on display' in that roundtable scene (with more on the outdoor tracks than inside any roundhouse). I had a similar 'display of steam' on my old Central Midland layout.

I figure my lower level in that area would have to neck down much more to give aisle clearance. So my railyard tracks would have to be perhaps half in number to those he has. And my city backdrop would have to be just a single layer of very thinly sectioned buildings, and a good painted backdrop. I would still like to have that circular mainline going around the roundtable facility and 'under' the city. I would also like to have that mainline join with the one that would cross the shed's door opening via a nice lift-out bridge (Chesapeake Bay Bridge or whatever).

I'd also like to have a small diesel engine service area at the other end of the yard in front of the city. (perhaps down where the tracks begin to turn in toward the peninsula)?

I'm thinking I could locate my 'condensed' steel mill complex at the head of the peninsula blob (after all Balt was a big steel town at one time). I'll have to find some old photos of the York Pa model RR club layout that had a steel mill located within a loop of track something like that. Then a middle portion of that peninsula might have a coal mining area at the base of the mountains that I would put at the root of the peninsula to camouflage the multiply crossing tracks like those on the Anon & Muss. I've also got quite a bit of oil tanks & refinery structures. Perhaps those need to go over near the waterfront scene I have in mind for the other 'blob' across the shed door's opening from the roundtable scene??

My peninsula may have to be offset to the left like the LP&T in order to get that yard and city scene in an acceptable manner. But off-center shouldn't be a problem with what I have in mind locating on the peninsula platform itself?

I would like to have some staging area, and I'm thinking it might be located just below that rail-yard and city scene,.....very close up under the sub-roadbed so that it could have some short steep entrance/exit tracks.

...my thoughts for now

Brian

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  5:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Brian,

Just curious about something ... did you post this thread on another forum about a year or so ago? Everything seems familiar to me that you posted so far ... I know that I read it before but can't remember where.

Take care,
Rob.

Yes, I did Rob,...on several forums

At first I was NOT going to repeat it here, but as I began to practice posting here I thought I would include a little background,...as often some folks don't bother to visit other forums.

I do have some NEW material and dwgs I have not posted anywhere else yet. I need to figure out how to post images that are not yet posted on any other internet site.

And I would love to have your opinion of these new plans, as I seem to be stuck with arranging all of the 'scenes' I wish to include. As I briefly looked at some of your postings I thought I saw a compliment you made to some European modelers about how 'they were able to put a lot in a small space'. I'm struggling with that concept as well,....just have too much nice 'stuff' to include in a relatively small layout....ha...ha

Brian

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  5:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian,

My thoughts so far are pretty much the same they were when I first saw this thread ... there's no way you're gonna stuff that much railway in your space. IIRC, you made a few changes when you got some feedback along those same line. That's why I asked why you were posting all this again ... I knew you were further along with this design than these posts show. To me at least it didn't make much sense to post all this stuff again when you could have just added a link to where it was posted originally if somebody wanted to see how you got to the point where you are now.

Take care,
Rob.

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  5:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decided to draw a few loops on the floor of the shed just to explore the possibilities. Those loops are 48" in diameter. And the center loop is offset over to the left of the shed's floor, thus leaving more room for the yard/ city /roundhouse scene on that right hand side.

That 48" only permitted perhaps at best a 23" radius loop

Brian

railandsail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  5:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct Rob.

So if someone whats to see that continuing story and photos, start on this page,

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/30266?page=4

Brian

Edited by - railandsail on 10/11/2018 5:29:10 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  6:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link ... you got some great feedback on that thread as well ... thou it is not the one that I remember.

(BTW: I see you were in Lunenburg ... I am from Nova Scotia ... but at the other end about 500km (300 miles) north-east of there.)

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Operations on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Page Viewing Size?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000