Railroad Line Forums - My first attempt at Digital Bricks
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Loren Johnsen ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 My first attempt at Digital Bricks
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Page: of 2

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  2:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant explain why but for several years now I have been wanting to design and build a scale brick building. I have not had a model train in almost 30 years and I have no plans to get one anytime soon but for some reason I want to make little brick buildings....strange I know! At any rate this is my first attempt at making a scale brick wall (HO) and I thought I would post it here to see what the experts think. These are printed on Lazerboard with a fairly special printer that I use for other projects and then laser engraved and cut. No painting, no finishing, no hand work, this is how they come off of the machine. Please let me know what you think. Aside from the fact that they are just a bit glossy I am quite pleased with them. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome!

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  2:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pics are all missing, I will have to figure that out!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  3:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trevor, posting pictures here is a challenge for new members. Here's a link that you should find helpful.

You're going to fit in nicely here with your urge to build little brick buildings. I'm interested in seeing what you're doing since I also get that urge from time to time.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  4:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trevor, are you laying individual bricks? 1.05mm X 2.34mm X .662mm, That'll be a little tedious. It'll be interesting.

Jim

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  5:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Trevor, posting pictures here is a challenge for new members. Here's a link that you should find helpful.

You're going to fit in nicely here with your urge to build little brick buildings. I'm interested in seeing what you're doing since I also get that urge from time to time.

George

Here's the link

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  5:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like my photos are way too large, I will try to resize and post them tonight! Thanks for the help.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  6:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jerry. Looks like I had a senior moment (again).

George

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  9:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pic finally!

Download Attachment: PicsArt_10-10-08.15.11.jpg
31.22 KB

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  9:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And another

Download Attachment: PicsArt_10-10-08.22.26.jpg
64.91 KB

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  9:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And another, doing this from a phone is not easy :)

Download Attachment: PicsArt_10-10-08.28.39.jpg
75.88 KB

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  9:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last one

Download Attachment: PicsArt_10-10-08.28.04.jpg
71.54 KB

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  10:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a google photo album I created that has the above pictures as well as a few more in a higher resolution that should be better to look at. The bricks are a bit glossy from the printing process. I have ordered some Testors Dull Cote with the hope that it can knock some of the gloss down a bit and make the sheen seem less artificial. I am fairly happy with my print/score/cut process so now I will begin designing some small building and try to make it all fit together and look presentable!

Link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FgvTurQH613N3SaG8

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  6:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked on my printed and cut bricks some more today. I started to work on a simple little shop building. When I did I realized that the bricks I have been drawing were not small enough to be American 8" bricks. I had been drawing them at close to 11 in long which is of course not accurate for most construction. I also wanted to do something about the sheen and these are much flatter than the first few sets because I sprayed the lazerboard with some kilz spray paint before I printed on it, or laser cut the bricks. That seems to have added just a bit of texture and removed some of the shine. I will attach 1 pic here, there are 7 more in the google album linked in the message above.

Download Attachment: PicsArt_10-11-05.40.38.jpg
33.8 KB

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  7:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting technique, how do you plan to deal with the corners.
Also there is nothing supporting your lintel, its just 'hanging' there.

The process certainly has possibilities after some more research and refinement, the
3d effect is good.

What kind of ink is used?

Karl.A

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  8:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good eye on the lintel, that does need fixed. Corners will be tricky to get correct, as I presumed but I will work on that. They are printed with a uv cured resin ink, the nice thing about it is that it sticks to anything, cures instantly and is impervious to almost everything. Thanks for the comments!

Nebraskatrevor
New Hire

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  1:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked on my first building design today. It did not go together great, lots of things need to be adjusted. The corners are the worst, it is amazing what a difference just a few thousandths of an inch can make. I am definitely going to need to study the solutions others have come up with because right now my corners look awful. All in all not too horrible for a first attempt, but nothing like the work of others that I see in pictures here and elsewhere!! Some more pics added to the google album.

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000