Railroad Line Forums - One Hare controlling two turnouts?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 One Hare controlling two turnouts?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Infrared Block detection circuits Topic Next Topic: Lineside Signals for the B&M Eastern Route  

hardcoalcase
New Hire

Posted - 09/30/2018 :  8:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a simple crossover with each turnout powered by a Tortoise. One of the Tortoises also has a Hare installed to permit auto-throw, with a manual option.

Can I control both turnouts using the single Hare? If so, what gets wired to what?

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2018 :  11:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about wiring the Tortoises in parallel? If one behaves backward, reverse the wires on pins 1 and 8. The Tortoises draw such a small amount of current, that you'll probably be good with that simple of a solution. It can be a little hard to get your head wrapped around it, but even a double crossover ends up either being thrown or not. I have 4 Tortoises connected in parallel.

Jim

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  5:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jim and wire the switch machines as he indicated. I have eight sets of Tortoise Machines in my Saxeville Interchange wired in this fashion and a crossover that is part of my reverse loop and all work perfectly. Each set is controlled by a single mini-toggle switch on the fascia.

Greg

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  09:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, totally agree with Jim, I have a couple of crossovers and wired them in that manner. No need for anything special.

Greg@mnrr
Section Hand

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  12:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a short addition to using Tortoise switch machines....I use card edge connectors which slip over the solder pads on the Tortoise.

All soldering is done to the card edge connector which makes for an easy installation and prevents damage to the card edge connectors.

Greg

hardcoalcase
New Hire

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  7:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allow me to elaborate for clarity. One of the Tortoises has a Hare stationary decoder installed, which has an edge card connector which covers up the 8 tabs on that Tortoise.

I tried wiring the 2nd Tortoise in parallel to the 1st, and that resulted in a short in one direction.

I also tried wiring the 2nd Tortoise to the Hare's duplicate Tortoise contacts (# 1 & 8 positions on J5) and that resulted in a short in one direction as well.

All this decoder technology is above my pay grade, but I suspect that this is a question regarding the Hare decoder itself.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  7:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is 'shorting' out? The rails, or the Tortoises? You might want to re-read that 12 page user manual. Wiring the Tortoises in parallel doesn't cause a 'short' of the power supplied to the Tortoises.

Jim

hardcoalcase
New Hire

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  4:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the answer is... you wire the 2nd Tortoise to the "J5" strip on the Hare. J5 is a series of holes to solder wires to the board, or you can purchase a block of screw terminals that will fit onto the holes.

In the case of controlling two Tortoises on a crossover, connect the motor control tabs (1 and 8) on the 2nd Tortoise to J5 positions 1 and 8 on the Hare that is mounted on the 1st Tortoise. Reverse the wires if necessary to get the turnouts in sync.

In an earlier response, I noted that this arrangement caused a short, apparently due to my not-ready-for-prime-time bread-boarding skills.

Previous Topic: Infrared Block detection circuits Topic Next Topic: Lineside Signals for the B&M Eastern Route  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000