Railroad Line Forums - 74' ST Army Tug by Dumas
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 74' ST Army Tug by Dumas
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: boat model Topic Next Topic: tow truck
Page: of 10

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  10:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

You’re chugging along at pretty good pace. I’m interested in your filling the hill with an expanding foam or something. I’d worry about using too much and ending up with bilge bulge.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  08:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin, the entire project is all hands on deck.

Ted, Dave picked it up on sale for less than a hundred. Which is a much better deal considering the lack of detail. But then it’s meant for RC and lots of handling.

Mike, the foam fill will be in the next exciting episode later today. In reality I ended up doing only the perimeter along the waterline.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  10:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sure move fast Frank!!

Ted good idea real water on the diorama!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  4:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nicely done

Frank The Cowboybilly

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  09:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, I have to move fast, I’m getting older and time is slip-sliding away.

Frank, thanks for looking in.

I built the clearstory or skylight from left over 3mm PVC instead of balsa as per the instructions. The skylight is mounted on top of the deck house. The funnel was another 2-piece vacuum formed shape. I reinforced the inside so I could handle it easier. otherwise it was pretty flimsy.

I made the drastic “CUT”. I blocked the hull up and drew a line at the prescribed waterline location. I used my Dremel 90 degree head with cut-off wheel to make the cut all around. Then I used a hacksaw blade to cut through the Gorilla glue foam on the inside. My cut was an eighth of an inch generous so I can sand to the line.

Here’s a view at the Gorilla glue reinforced hull. It turned out very strong.

Here she is in position on the Lake Shore Industrial modular switching layout. This was a test fit to see if the tug had enough room on the bubble out or was more room needed. Looks good to me.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/09/2018 09:26:08 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  09:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Frank. That was a good use for Gorilla glue!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  10:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Building a tug seems to be a difficult task! Nice work!!
I'll stick to building landlubber structures and just admire the work you ship builders accomplish.
Dave

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  5:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the tug Frank, as usual from you'...Nice progress'...

Ted

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  11:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry.

Come on Dave get your feet wet.

Thanks Ted. Here’s some more.

My good buddy Dave went to work on his laser again. I drew up some new watertight doors and pilot house wood doors. I also made some portholes but I didn’t give them enough width so they were so fragile it wasn’t worth building them. But I drew new ones for Wednesday.

Here’s a sampling of the parts. The dark laser board is .025” and the light one is .015”.

Their doors were made of a single piece of rectangular 1/32” plywood that lacked any detail.

The watertight doors I built are made of 3 layers. The base is .015” which includes the door frame. Then there is a .025” spacer to give the door some relief and finally the door is .025”. I added a porthole ring and .020” x .040” styrene strips for the hinges which you’ll see in the finished picture.

The pilot house front windows are .015” base and .025” frames. I made them all in one panel then cut the joining pieces off after I glued them together. In order to get the curve on the windows I used my favorite method, a bubble mailing envelope for the base and a brass tube to press down and do a pie crust rolling thing. The bubble envelope gives under pressure and allows the material to curve. I even use this for rolling brass. To adjust the curve simply change the diameter of the tube.

The instructions had the door placement off kilter. The plans showed the doors perpendicular to the curving deck. They should have been perpendicular to level. Going through a tilted door would be like going into a “Fun House”, now add a rolling sea and whoops! Since I added hinges to the watertight doors I faced them to the weather or bow.

I painted the hull with Rust-Oleum gray primer. When am I going to learn, that stuff takes days to dry. That’s it – last time I ever buy that junk.

If the doors look tilted it's just an optical illusion.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/10/2018 11:49:35 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  12:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Frank!

You planning on LEDs for all of the "towing light" paraphernalia?

Pete
in Michigan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  12:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1000% better than decals

It's only make-believe

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  1:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess simple is out of the question for you??

As usual your excellent job of building!!

Jerry

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  2:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete, I guess I’ll have to have at least a white light to satisfy my illuminated friends.

Thanks Bob I agree.

Jerry, KISS is not one of my terms.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  4:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Sheer delight to see how you corrected the instructions for the vertical reference of the doors :) The watertight doors look terrific by the way, you dog you. (Are the round windows on this side starboard holes?:)
I really like how you curved the pilot house windows (no more puns here)
I agree about using Rustoleum spray paints. I really liked the flat brown, but the "new" nozzle sprays a very thick coating and eventually plugs up and, like you said, takes days to dry.
I've had better luck with Krylon, but it doesn't have the same color.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 09/10/2018 7:52:10 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  7:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Good catch on the doors. I would not have until too late. If ever. I’m sticking to rail cars and buildings anchored to earth.

Beautiful work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: boat model Topic Next Topic: tow truck  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000