Railroad Line Forums - ? House Mailbox Suggestion ?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: NP2626 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 ? House Mailbox Suggestion ?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: o scale swsm oneills fabricating Topic Next Topic: Mt.Albert Lumber Yard Diorama Build By Fast Tracks  

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  7:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks, anyone have a suggestion of how to model the type of mailbox that attaches to the front of your House besides the front door? Sometimes I have seen a small basket or thin rectangular box used.

I am not looking for the box on a pole that goes out near the street.
Thanks,
David
A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

Norton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  8:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on the era it should be either a rectangular box or a square-ish box with a flap lid hinged at the back (wall side).

The rectangle came into use around the late 60's and would take a letter sized envelope lengthwise, so would be about 12-14" wide and maybe 4-5" high. The square boxes were in use earlier than that and were about 6" wide and about 8" high. The flaps for either sat at about a 50-60 degree down angle from the wall side of the box and overuhng the front of the box by about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Could be painted either the house color or white. Could also have a different color box and flap. They would generally be mounted on the front porch wall under the cover of the porch roof to help protect the mail from the weather.

Neither should be too difficult to construct from balsa wood and either a thin styrene or metal lid.

If that's not what you're asking, sorry for the spam.

The V & T lives in my garage. Soon...

Norton

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  9:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the house wasn't going to be handled at all, heavy aluminum foil could be used for the lid. For houses that travel, shim brass would be tougher.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  05:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with James and Norton but all who know me know I would make the box from sheet styrine.
Depending on era (1920's through 1940's) you may not need the box at all. Most of my model
structures show the mail slot that was almost always installed right into the front door so that
mail that was inserted fell to the floor inside the building.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  12:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norton and jvbv
Thanks for the direction I needed
David

A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  01:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob
How do you create mail slots ?
David

David Stickney

Previous Topic: o scale swsm oneills fabricating Topic Next Topic: Mt.Albert Lumber Yard Diorama Build By Fast Tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000