Railroad Line Forums - Installing a diorama video?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Installing a diorama video?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Your favorite songs Topic Next Topic: Sunday Morning lounge  

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  11:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am about to install a 20x14 inch diorama on 2-inch pink foam. I plan on using 0.187 hardboard for the base; but I have never done this before. Anyone know of a good U-Tube video or link that shows someone doing this? Do a chunk out a 2 inch deep hole and remove the foam where it will be; just lay it there and Mickey-Mouse it in with plaster? Any ideas or video help would be appreciated.
John

Blazeman
Section Hand

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  12:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you wanting to simply drop in your base and have the foam sheet surround it? How deep do you want the base to be inside the foam?

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  12:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The pink foam base is 2 inches thick. The Masonite is 3/16 inch thick plus 0.1 inch thick art board. I don't want to dig up anymore foam...I've still got a 1/2 thick pink insulation covering everything since the last time I dug up foam insulation. Maybe lay it on top of my "flat" layout and put some Scultamold on it or something. Just looking for ideas

John

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  1:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, foam dust is a real mess. How about using a hot wire foam cutter to carve out "basement" for the diorama to sit in? I've never used one, but I don't want to cut foam again ether. I would rather go back to plaster. It's much easier to clean up.

It's only make-believe

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  9:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Draw around the diorama and cut a hole out of your 2" deep foam to accomadate it.
(serated knife= little mess)
Put cross members from the underside of the hole to support the diorama if needed.
Use shims, scrap foam, whatever to bring the diorama up to the correct height.
Blend the scenery.
Done.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/11/2018 7:16:59 PM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  2:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I put my big boy pants on and did what I knew I had to do...like a rookie surgeon though, I'm afraid to make the first cut

John

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  3:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need a "Graphic Artist" Knife made by "OLFA",
You will not have any mess whatsoever...
8 bucks on Amazon and better craft stores....a very worthwhile investment...

Ted

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  7:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome, don't mention it.
Oh,
You didn't.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  08:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

You're welcome, don't mention it.
Oh,
You didn't.

Thanks Karl

John

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  10:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iím not sure model railroading can be done without making a mess at some point. However I agree that debris created while cutting foam is particularly annoying.

Good job.

For future reference: Tedís suggestion is a good one.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  8:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know John, I don't think you have ever acknowledged any of my help answers. So as Karl say's, you're welcome, but don't mention it....(LOL) Try the OLFA, it's nice, you'll like it...

Ted

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  9:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Iím not sure model railroading can be done without making a mess at some point. However I agree that debris created while cutting foam is particularly annoying.

Good job.

For future reference: Tedís suggestion is a good one.

Mike

Thanks Mike, The OLFA works great for cutting foam and just about everything else. Balsa, thin plastics, card stock, etc. for the heavier bass wood and thicker materials there is a larger OlFA, with a thicker blade and that one works great too. I rarely use Excato knifes any more as the OLFA cuts much more smother and accurate...and faster..

Ted

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  09:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

You know John, I don't think you have ever acknowledged any of my help answers. So as Karl say's, you're welcome, but don't mention it....(LOL) Try the OLFA, it's nice, you'll like it...

Ted
I have a bad habit of not thanking those that take the time to reply to my questions. Thanks for replying and the knife suggestion. I used a wavy bladed knife that cut the foam with no problem. I think it's called a styrofoam knife. The cutting was no problem. The mess way from using the ridgid blade scraper to pry the pieces out. Thanks again and thanks to all those who help me out

John

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  2:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay John' much appreciated'..

Ted

Previous Topic: Your favorite songs Topic Next Topic: Sunday Morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000