Railroad Line Forums - CA glue trick new to me....
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 CA glue trick new to me....
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thursday...getting there Topic Next Topic: Workday Wednesday Lounge  

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  11:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not saying I'm the sloppiest modeler out here; but I have always found the the little cone cap that goes over the CA glue bottle gets stuck on the applicator very easily. After having to take a pair of pliers to break the bond on the cap, like I've done so many times before; I came up with putting a dab of Vaseline on the glue bottle applicator cone shape that snugs into the cap. Perfect fix; loosens every time now.

Put Vaseline on the cone shape on the bottle (to the left)

This trick is new to me
John

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  12:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

George

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  12:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good tip! I'll have to try that.

I've used a little dab of Vaseline along the threads and top of bottles of (solvent, e.g. Floquil) paint, that does work well to help keep the paint fresh.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  5:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JnJ,
I can think of a 101 uses for Vaseline. This neat little trick will make it 102.

I see a new book in the future for someone. Thanks for sharing.

Now I can simply open the cap and glue something instead of cutting, chiseling, tearing or sqeezing pliers all over before gluing. ha.

Thanx Thom...

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  10:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
great tip!
thanks...

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  10:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never put the cap back on. Glue stays perfectly fine.

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  5:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The glue build-up is one reason I LOVE LOVE LOVE Gorilla Glue's CA. The cap comes with a built in needle. I just wish they'd come out with a thin viscosity version.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  9:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

I never put the cap back on. Glue stays perfectly fine.

Neither do I; I throw it away.

I do use these ultrafine tips that let me very carefully control flow and delivery of CA to where I want it to go and never close up the bottle.

I’d say that your chances are as thin as a homeopathic soup made
from the shadow of a pigeon that died of starvation…

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  10:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Question for those who leave off the cap - do you tend to use a bottle before it dries/cures or does it dry out first?

Galen

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  07:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Question for those who leave off the cap - do you tend to use a bottle before it dries/cures or does it dry out first?

I've not had a bottle dry out in many years and I use the 2 oz bottles regularly. I do build a lot, but my shop is rather low in humidity and keeping those fine tips on the bottle tends to limit moisture accumulation into the CA. Water does act as a catalyst to accelerate the polymerization setting of CA. I also never keep it in the frige or freezer, but long term storage of an open bottle (left over from doing clinics) is in a desiccator with color coded desiccant.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  08:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've not had a bottle dry out in many years and I use the 2 oz bottles regularly. My shop is rather low in humidity and keeping those fine tips on the bottle tends to limit moisture accumulation into the CA.

I live near Tampa, FL. and humidity is high but no problems. When you put the cap back on it allows the glue to come in contact with the cap. With out the cap you'll see the glue slowly drain back down the tube leaving it open.

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  11:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin & Frank. I have always been worried that I't put one of those tips on and it would clog after the first use, rendering the bottle unusable until the tip was removed. Like John, I had more often used pliers to break away the dried residue from the bottle tip. Despite my attempts to be careful and avoid a mess I inevitably ended up with some overflow that went unnoticed.

Good thread. As always, I learn so much from this forum. Thanks for sharing.

Galen

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  3:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Thanks Martin & Frank. I have always been worried that I't put one of those tips on and it would clog after the first use, rendering the bottle unusable until the tip was removed.

Those tips that I use are polypropylene and CA is not good at binding to that surface. The tip is also so fine that even if it does clog, I just snip off a bit with a scalpel and keep going - the ID on the tip is way less than a millimeter and when using medium viscosity CA I find that I have to trim it back just from the back pressure. Tip base also snaps on the bottle and have never had one "fly" off either.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  5:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you find those tips?

Jeff S.

Previous Topic: Thursday...getting there Topic Next Topic: Workday Wednesday Lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000