Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O
Page: of 9

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  8:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Those three pictures really show the quality of your work.
Outstanding.

Karl.A

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  11:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work. Iím particularly struck by the signs.

Mike

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  5:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken, Been following along with every one else, bet you wondered if I'd ever show up, eh? Anyway, love the look you are giving the model. Really great weathering.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  7:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken

You are doing a fantastic job with this build. I'm enjoying the thread.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  12:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I call em like I see em Terrell! Really nice to have you following along and nice to be "knock elbows" with you...Thanks.

Karl A., appreciate that and that one wall design was just too good not to feature it by itself.

I agree Mike, the signage Brett came up with for this wall was terrific. Of note here...the sign frames were desdigned and laser cut by Brett and I finished them as metal frames but could easily have been made to look like wood frames. Nice versatility afforded by these nifty frames.

Hey Tony, thanks for stopping in here and appreciate the thoughts. Been following you as well...keep up the great modeling in your attention to fine detail mode!

Thanks John and glad to have you checking in.

More updates soon...Ken

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  9:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I must have had my head buried in a book or someplace else . You are doing an outstanding job on this build. Those holes in the window glass are really believable. I'll be following along now.

Jim

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  3:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim and glad to have you along here. Been awhile since my last post but I am working! Getting the Foundry and Workshop roofs detailed...should be posting soon.

Ken

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  08:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been awhile since posting an update on The Foundry!...I'll be taking care of that over the next few days.

Last post I was working on the roof of both the Work Room and the Foundry. Brett, of SierraWest Scale Models, came up with a wonderful technique for constructing a metal standing seam roof for both these structures. Commercial standing seam roofing did not have the ideal spacing of the seams so Brett designed the seams to be made from stripwood glued to the roof card. The obvious challenge is to make "cardboard" and stripwood look like metal...Brett's instruction manual made this a simple procedure and the results are great.

Here is the Work Room roof I completed. The roof was painted brown from a spray can and then weathered with chalks. Next up will be the Foundry roof which is an amazing design and so much fun to work up...

Edited by - KKarns on 11/17/2018 08:21:30 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  08:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep. Sure does look like metal. Well done.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  09:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael...appreciate that.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  09:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The roof of the main Foundry structure is complete along with completing most of the final details to the same structure. I will now be able to attach the Work Room and Office buildings to the Foundry structure seen here.

Here the wonderfully designed standing seam "metal" roof is complete. Materials are cardboard and stripwood!

Another terrific detail of the SierraWest Scale Model kit, the Swing Beam Crane. I'm putting together a chain hoist from castings in the kit...

Another classic SierraWest one piece resin casting, the brick chimney.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  10:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
outfreakingstanding!!

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  11:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You stone cold nailed it. Great construction and color.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2018 :  2:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
WOW!! The stone and the seamed roof look great together! Great looking building!
Dave

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  7:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Thanks Kevin, I'll take that one word comment any day!

Appreciate that Michael, it is a great casting to work with.

Thanks Dave, and it is certainly a wonderfully designed structure for sure.

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000