Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O
Page: of 9

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  8:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic colouring on the stone work Ken. This is going to blend beautifully with everything else you have done so far.

Karl.A

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  5:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks much there Karl. I have finished up the other three walls of the Foundry. Next up are the windows and doors...

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Completed the wonderful multi-paned metal factory style windows. Walls are glued together and the right wall entry door installed.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  02:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken. Just catching up on this build, and your stunning work. Superb kit, and superb modelling. The realism is incredible.

Am particularly impressed with those last lot of photo's of the stonework. Each stone looks individually laid, not like one whole casting.
Beautiful work.
Can you explain how you got all the nice shadows between the stones. Wash's I assume ?

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  07:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

Really appreciate the kinds words here. The stone walls of The Foundry structure are wonderfully done both in the original carving and the resin casting process.

After priming the walls with a light coat of Rust-Oleum Khaki spray paint and allowing the paint to cure, I went over the walls with a 1/4 inch fairly stiff brush and brushed in black chalk. This had the effect of both imparting the nice shadows in the joints and also dulled down the khaki paint and also gave the stones some highlights prior to coloring the stones. The manual calls for an AI wash to accomplish the same thing. The butt joint line I filled in with primarily 408.3 chalk which matched the stone color better to soften the straight joint line. Black would have accented it. The second picture from the top illustrates this.

Nice talking with you George and look forward to hearing from you...Ken

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  08:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ken

Nice coloring on the stones. Really like the windows Brett made for this one.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  10:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken,

Beautiful treatment of the stone walls. And I like the windows, particularly the large ones.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  11:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All of the buildings are coming together beautifully through the work of your masterful hands and eyes, Ken. Yes, those windows look fabulous as does the stonework!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  3:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry, you're right about those windows, Brett came up with a great design and they are really nice to work with.

Appreciate that Michael. Those large windows have that classic old factory appearance.

Thanks much mike and have two more structures to go that are attached to main foundry building.

More later...Ken

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  4:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken. Looking very good, great job on the stonework.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

geoawelch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  5:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Send geoawelch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ken,

Random question - when you do Official Builds do you follow Brettís directions to the letter?

George

ďEverything will be all right in the end. If itís not all right, itís not the endĒ

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  4:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right George,

When I'm doing the official forum build on SierraWest's web-site I'm following the manual as given. This doesn't mean that I don't impart my own style of modeling but I do work within the scope of the manual. I add weathering and details as I feel the scene dictates and create subtile differences. The idea is that following the manual to the letter will result in diorama similar, but unique to the individual builder, to the one created by the pilot model on Brett's site and the official forum build I'm doing. I try and point out those areas where I have deviated somewhat from the manual in creating a look I felt my modeling style would enhance.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  7:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have completed the installation of the styrene "steel" lintel beams, resin brick wall and wood sand bay and sand bay hatch castings. The roof functions as the floor for the Foundy's second floor. The vertical "steel" beam will be installed later...

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/16/2018 :  3:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have begun work on The Foundry Office Walls. This is the last of six structures making up The Foundry diorama.

A bit of scale perspective

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  8:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really liking the effects that you have achieved on the wall Ken.
Aside from the peeling paint and the tonal differences in the bare wood,
you have really gotten a good depth and texture to the wall.
Very nicely done, cant wait to see the others, and then all together.

Karl.A

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000