Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O
Page: of 9

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  12:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken,

Your buildings have just the right amount of grunge and decrepitude for a foundry, one thatís been around for a while but still in operation.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  2:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, appreciate your thoughts and I do tend to model on the grungy side!

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  2:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You've got grunge down to an art! Very well done.

Bob

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  7:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks Bob...not sure I'd know what to do if I had to model something new!

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  7:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken

Fantastic modeling! Thank you for sharing this with us. Brett has done it again.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  07:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appreciate that John and I agree, Brett has produced a top notch kit here once again.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/18/2018 :  2:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have begun work on the stone wall resin castings for The Foundry building today.

wall on the right was primed with Rust-Oleum Khaki and allowed to cure. Wall on the left was done by painting each individual stone with various colors of chalk and alcohol per the instruction manual. The lintels and sills were done with a light tan mix and then once dry dulled with black chalk.

This picture illustrates the texture of the stone resin casting a bit better.

Edited by - KKarns on 08/19/2018 07:32:29 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  09:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken,

The realism of the walls matches the rest of the kit. Very well done.

After reading about it many times being used as a base color, Rust-Oleum Khaki is now one of my basic tools. Do the instructions specify specific chalk colors or is it left to your unerring sense of color?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  09:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken very nice coloring on the wall casting.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  10:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the looks of this kit. But I declared a 'kit moratorium' until I figure out what spaces I have on the new layout. Watching this build is making me regret that decision :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  11:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I love the looks of this kit. But I declared a 'kit moratorium' until I figure out what spaces I have on the new layout. Watching this build is making me regret that decision :-)

dave

Never to late to order one from Brett!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  5:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. Right, the Rust-Oleum Khaki is such a good base color for castings and the Laserboard details. Brett gives full details of the process for "painting" the stone walls including the actual Rembrandt brand chalk reference numbers for the colors recommended. I used about six different color shades for 90% of the stones. Any brand of quality artist chalk will work fine within a fairly broad palette of browns, grays, etc..

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  5:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks Jerry. Once you get going it is really fun to do and the chalk is so forgiving as you layer the colors. If you don't like the stone you just did, just "paint" over it with another color and it just gets better due to the depth the layers create or a little alcohol and thins right down and go back over with another color. Subtile changes in color is the key.

I heard that Dave! I just build dioramas right now but can imagine the frustration to see a wonderful kit like The Foundry and think there isn't space on the layout for it. Get it anyway!...as the space may become available down the road or you'll fall in love with it and make room.

See...Jerry knows what he's talking about.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  05:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken, FANTASTIC job on the stone wall.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  5:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, have all the walls done and will be working on the windows and doors. Will be posting my progress soon. Thanks again for your note...Ken

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000