Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O
Page: of 9

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  4:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably the best asphalt shingles Iíve seen. Excellent job installing them.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken,
The realism you achieve with the model is impressive. Coloring, aging, roofing and signs are fantastic.
Love your work,
Dave

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2018 :  5:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that's why brett has been having ken do the official build threads lately. his work is unbelievable. really something to aspire to.

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  08:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Mike, and so refreshing to work with 3-tab shingles compared to the shake shingles we have all worked with for years. Gives a nice look I think.

Thanks Dave, appreciate the kind words.

Thanks again Kevin and thrilled to be able to work up this newest release from SierraWest Scale Models.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  11:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mike on the 3 tab shingles, they look great.

Ken, are they manufactured by Brett, or a different vendor?

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  12:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl,

The 3-tab shingles were developed and manufactured by Brett of SierraWest Scale Models and come complete with the kit. In fact, there's another really nice building, The Office, that has the same 3-tab shingles. I loved working with them and the process to get the proper color and texture is very easy to do with just two colors of spray paint and a final weathering with chalks...Ken

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  3:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those outdoor shots showcase two excellent notions, Ken's phenomenal modelling skills and Brett's amazing kits! Love it!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  4:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure is a very fine looking structure Ken, that has seen better days'.. Excellent job on the shingles, sign, and coloring'.. Very nice'..

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  08:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks much Mike, and you are so right regarding Brett's kits, brings out your best modeling when working on one of his products that's for sure.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appreciate that Ted and I seem to gravitate towards the old and grungy in my modeling. I'd almost have to force myself to model a nice new freshly painted wall!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  2:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Shingles look terrific Ken, Great work as always.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/15/2018 6:07:50 PM

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  6:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl...they were so nice to work with.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  7:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have completed the Tempering Shed which butts up aginst the Repair Shop. The Tempering Shed is tar paper over card stock templates. Again, I wanted the look of siding underneath the tar paper so I cut out small sections of the template and replaced with stripwood and then weathered and removed some paper to simulate torn and missing pieces here and there.

Next up is glueing all three structures together and adding the front porch roof on the Repair Shop.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  6:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished up the porch roof for the repair shop. The deteriorated area is where the roof meets the Tempering shed. It will appear toned down as the roof tucks under the overhang from the Tempering Shed roof. It will be apparent once the structures are glued together...

Here is the tempering oven casting Brett includes. This is a single piece resin casting and is fabulous. So much nice detail and finishes very easily. This guy lives between the Pattern Shop and Tempering Shed. There is a large exhaust stack that fits on top and just finished off the scene in fine style...well done Brett!

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  11:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all three structures in this grouping have been glued together. Next up is the Stone Foundry building.

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: Red Bird Taxis - In O  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000