Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest and J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 4

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  12:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Featured is SierraWest Scale Model's latest release in HO/HOn3, J.E. Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry...herein referred to as "The Foundry" This amazing kit is comprised of six individual structures integrated into a wonderful manufacturing complex complete with a beautiful resin stone foundry structure. Brett, of SierraWest Scale Models, provides a detailed backstory that gives the The Foundry a meaningful and prototypical workflow.

My plan is to provide updates on a weekly to bi-weekly basis as I work up this gem of a kit.

The first glimpse of The Foundry as it came out of the box. Nicely illustrated box cover...pulse quickens...

Now this is what fine scale modeling and craftsman kits are all about!
This is a picture just as the box was opened and the packing material removed...the box with the picture contains all those wonderful resin and white metal castings! Time to get my hands dirty...

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  1:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is so wonderful to see this build thread here! Thank you for taking the time to post your build here. I am very excited to see what you do with the Foundry.

Our dear friend Mike Chambers started the tradition of these unique build threads many years ago with Fossí Landing. To see it carried forward by such a talented modeler is a fitting tribute to Mikes legacy.

Brett

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  1:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to your build, Ken! I know it's a thrill for Brett to follow along as well...he produces the finest of kit offerings, for sure. I'll be checking in!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  1:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brett, I'm honored to have such a wonderful kit sitting on my workbench and will be giving it the attention it deserves.

Unfortunately I did not have the pleasure of knocking elbows with Mike Chambers but have read and studied many of this posts here. It's obvious that those that knew him liked and respected him, both as a modeler and a kind and giving individual.

Appreciate your support Mike and much more to follow...

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  3:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be following Ken, thanks for posting the thread here.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  4:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great to see you posting this build here Ken for us all to enjoy your excellent skills on this incredible kit from Brett/SierraWest.

Karl.A

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  7:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to have you along Carl.

Hey Karl, appreciate that and look forward to your critique along the way my friend.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  8:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following along in the manual we start the build with the Pattern Shop. Brett choose a wonderful old weathered red color by mixing equal parts of SWSM/Reaper paint colors Boxcar Red and Ruddy Brown. I began by imparting the initial grain with a wire brush followed by "damp brushing" the stripwood with color. Damp brushing is a technique outlined by Brett in the manual along with an instructional video on his web-site. This technique is quick and easy to perfect and most importantly, the look is fantastic. It simulates old faded peeled paint to great effect.

Here is the finished initial detailing of the stripwood for the Pattern Shop. The walls are built up board-on-board over chipboard templates. Working with and detailing the stripwood is one of my favorite aspects of a build. How the stripwood is handled sets the tone for the entire build. The time taken here is well spent.

The chipboard template with the four walls of the Shop. Note the three areas where I cut out the chipboard and replaced with stripwood studding. I developed this thechnique for detailing walls over chipboard so missing and rotted areas would give the apperance of a studded wall behind. The template is spray painted black so any small gaps in the siding would not show the template behind.

A close up of the lower corner of the front wall of the shop. This is one of the few areas that the wall can be seen to ground level. Most of the shops wall to ground contact is covered by freight docks of concrete and wood. I felt this would be an ideal area to show some water damage and rot...

Next up will be the completed walls...Ken

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2018 :  8:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken,

Looks like a wonderful kit. Iíll be watching with great anticipation.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  05:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to have you checking in Mike.

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  05:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished up the initial siding of all four walls of the Pattern Shop. The Shop is a converted Blacksmith Shop so the siding reflects the age and prior use. More specific looks at some of the siding detail will follow...

Rear wall with sliding rail freight door opening and windows.

Right wall

Left wall with freight door opening.

Front wall. Note the rotted and missing siding at lower left and the visible frame studding behind.

More later...Ken

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  08:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the soot and heat riser effect on the side wall openings from the blacksmith days. Very nice.

Jim

Seabee Terry
New Hire

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  08:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken...always a thrill to follow your builds as you add your interpretations to the great ideas Brett puts into his kits

Terry

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  10:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken,

Very effective treatment of the siding. I like your detail with the exposed studs.

Mike

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  10:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ken, she's looking beautifully weather-beaten and aged. The colour combination is fabulous.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  2:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you just can't beat brett's kits, and ken's interpretation of them is stellar.

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

Page: of 4 Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000