Railroad Line Forums - Liquid Wire Insulation
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 Liquid Wire Insulation
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sound Decoder - Steward F Unit Topic Next Topic: ProtoThrottle from I.S.E.  

jburch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  8:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some 30ga and 24ga wires on my On30 engines that are routed very close to each other that the insulation has been scraped off of or exposed otherwise. What does everyone use as a brush on insulation to cover exposed wires? I have found products online but they seem to be quite thick in consistency, and I am looking for something that will work with the smaller wires and allow me to route them in tight spaces.

Thanks

Jeff B
Pasadena

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  9:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Jeff,

I have used MDR 'Liquid Lectric Tape' successfully for many years.

It is water-based, and comes with a built-in applicator brush. It is easy to apply, and dries reasonably fast wit a minimum or dripping.

Good luck.

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  9:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd add that if your wires originally had molded-on plastic insulation, and that got worn through by operating the locomotives, the brush-on insulation will only be a temporary fix; I don't think it's as durable as the original.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  9:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can buy the professional grade liquid electrical tape in Lowes, for $6.99. It works perfect for what you want to do. It comes with an applicator brush, but you can use a small detail brush to apply the liquid. It is very strong and yet flexible. I rarely solder wires any more in my builds, as I really like using this stuff instead...

PRODUCT NAME: (GB) GARDENER BENDER LIQUID TAPE
available in black, red, green, and white.

worth a look'..

Ted

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  09:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some of the stuff Ted mentioned. It works well and will protect your wires well. I recently used it to repair an iPhone cable that had been chewed up and had 1/4 in of bare wire. This stuff is solvent based and permanent. I wouldn’t use it anyplace you might be taking things apart in the future.

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

Previous Topic: Sound Decoder - Steward F Unit Topic Next Topic: ProtoThrottle from I.S.E.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000