Railroad Line Forums - The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars
Page: of 39

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  5:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an excellent project!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  9:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrific job on the details.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  11:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted, Bill, Jerry and Mike.

Here's the very early beginnings of the foundation.

The bricks are from construction paper, not the final color but a good base color. I prefer to work from the bottom up, just like the real masons, but the top course is more important.

This is where the real fun begins....

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  12:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Construction paper.... Hmmmm.... Great idea!

I have a stone station to construct from balsa foam, and I'm a tad behind, mostly because it was last winter's project, and the design staff (me) dropped the ball, so the Program Manager (me) is now unhappy, because the Owner/Primary Shareholder (me) is unhappy, and... reasons.

Please include what doesn't work, as well as what does.... And things like the adhesive used here-- carpenter's glue? Foam-safe CA? The world wonders! At least, mine does....

Pete
in Michigan

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  12:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Pete, I'm using Gorilla wood glue. Of course I don't use the huge spade applicator that it comes with. I shake the bottle up to get some in the cap, remove the cap and dip a small brush in it. I use that glue a lot.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  3:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terrell

Sorry, Pete, I'm using Gorilla wood glue. Of course I don't use the huge spade applicator that it comes with. I shake the bottle up to get some in the cap, remove the cap and dip a small brush in it. I use that glue a lot.

Good to know. I learn something, it's a Good Day!

I learned something.

Pete
in Michigan

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  7:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I almost forgot. I found Mrs. Martinelli's Cat.

or if it's not Mrs. Martinelli's cat then I don't know who's it is.

Edited by - Terrell on 06/29/2018 7:49:58 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  9:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Miaou! Is your Gorilla Glue the foaming kind?

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  9:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Foaming kind ? It's just a typical wood glue, but indoor/outdoor.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  9:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I just went and looked at the bottle, it says "Dries natural color ( whatever natural wood glue color is, I guess), No Foaming". I never even thought about "foaming" before.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2018 :  09:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice touch with the cat!
Dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2018 :  09:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the cat!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2018 :  09:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A friend's project was ruined when she didn't notice the 'foaming' on the label (it wasn't very conspicuous). Since then I check anything novel (particularly from Gorilla) before buying/using.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2018 :  7:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ut-oh, the cat's outa' da bag.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/01/2018 :  2:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Guys !!

I thought maybe I was through making bricks but now I don't think so. If you look at the prototype picture the terrain slopes down to the backyard. This shows a lot more foundation towards the rear. Not that I'm trying to be all that prototypical but I like the effect and I would really like to have at least one more course of bricks across the front.

For the record, I just finished dissecting the right hand bay foundation section, it needed to be repositioned. Somehow my calculations were a bit off. But it looks a lot better now, not perfect, but better. What I'm going to do now is add another thickness of foam and run another course of bricks across the front (and of course the course will continue on both sides). Then I'll just step some courses on each side, starting roughly in the middle, towards the back. So, I'm not through making bricks, oh boy.

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in."

Edited by - Terrell on 07/01/2018 2:16:35 PM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000