Railroad Line Forums - The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars
Page: of 39

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  1:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic!

Are you building the roof assembly separate from the walls? Id imagine it would be easier to work on that way. The seam could be between the top of the wall and the horizontal overhang of the roof.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Guys !!

Mike I'm doing this much of the roof. The rest will likely be done separately. And possibly removeable. This way I can do the corbels. Next I'll probably do the foundation before going back up on the roof.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  2:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a beautiful building you have constructed there Fred'. I must admit though, I kinda of liked the upper center right window with the original window treatments. It was an exact replica of the real thing and was spot on'...But, you are the builder, not me. and as you know, opinions are like @#$%^holes and they all stink...

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  4:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I really like about this structure overall is the symmetry of the thing; the details are just icing on the cake. This sort of structure proves that you can have beautiful, functional housing. I can't wait to see it with that Mansard roof.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  12:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really nice, especially considering how quickly you're getting it done.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  08:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted, Galen and Ray !!

Now I have to figure out how to do all those "rectangles" that go between the corbels.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  09:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Next I'll probably do the foundation before going back up on the roof.

I don't blame you for putting the roof off. Roofing in the summer is pure he!!.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  10:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great Fred!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  10:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A thought on those rectangles: build a jig that is the size of the rectangle (allow some spaces to pop stuff out of the jig.) Put a very thin piece of styrene into the jig, then cut and assemble styrene strips, using the jig to keep them aligned. Pop the rectangle out of the jig, and build the next one.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  11:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frank, Carl and Dave. I decided to just build them in place, on site. That way I can make adjustments, not that my measurements are ever off but if the spaces between the corbels should vary.... then I'll be ready.

Only 18 more to go !!

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrell, Looks fantastic!!

I made one section to go between corbels and cast a bunch. If it doesn't come out even I'll live with it.

I'm way behind you in construction but your build is an inspiration, you have done a great job.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  1:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful, Terrell.

Chuck

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  3:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob and Chuck.

I saw your mold, that's definitely a good way to go. If I'd been set up for it I may have taken that route. But for now I'm done with corbels and rectangles.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  4:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those rectangley things look pretty good Fred.
Can't wait to see this baby finished'..It sure is going to be a beauty. Heck, it already is a beauty'....

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  5:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, that's going to be ready to rent before the paint is completely dry. Good work all around.

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000