Railroad Line Forums - The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4
Page: of 39

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  09:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your tenement looks terrific with even the little bit of scenery you’ve done. I agree that a bright green grass would detract from the overall look. Patches or strips of grass broken up by paths going around the house or shortcuts to the front sidewalk would work. The green could be toned down with a misting of a neutral color with an airbrush or you could use a subtle green ground cover; I like the Woodland Scenics burnt grass. I’d try to have dead leaves along the foundation and sides of the steps.

Wouldn’t there be a sidewalk along the street? If you made one with ratty pavement between steps and sidewalk there would be little space needing to be covered by grass and dirt.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  09:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrell,
I just wanted to say that I immensely enjoyed your tenement build. The building detail is incredible and your artistic ability to pull it all together is amazing and inspiring.
Thank you for sharing this build with us.
Dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  09:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is indeed a sidewalk visible in "Photo Two" on page 1 of Fred's Thread (see what I did there?)

The telephone pole is mounted in the space between the sidewalk and the street, and not, as it may appear, on the street itself.

More space for ratty grass, and yes, nothing bright green. The bright green stuff is for the St. Patrick's Day parade....

Again, Fred, Fabulous work!

Pete
in Michigan

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  10:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rich, Frank, Bob, Mike and Dave !!
And Pete's right, there is a sidewalk, as dark as it is it's hard to tell if it's sidewalk or a paved pathway, similar to what led up to the front doors. I thought about adding it but I would have needed to extend the front by an inch and a half or so. I still could or I may just wait and see if this thing ever finds that elusive layout. Then deal with that and the grass. I'm still hoping to get some natural light shots of it but I'm waiting for when there's not so much natural water falling from the sky.

Thanks again to all for the very nice comments.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  11:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i agree with everyone else. this is a MAGNIFICENT scratch build. very nice work. i have no opinion on the ground cover, but i think what you have there looks excellent!

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  2:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, kebmo !!

A quick, no frills, shot. A few of the tenants decided to come out for some fresh air.....

….while the kids are at school.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Post-partum-modeling-depression...that's a real thing. Still, there's only one solution. Take a long walk then start a new project.

I just made Empinadas for the first time last night and the family loved them. Anyway, the recipe I looked at gave this advice specifically after eating them. Take a long walk. I really do think it wasn't just the author being cute, but really good advice after eating fried food. So I do mean it. Get up, do something different, then start something new.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be terrific. This one sure came out well.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  10:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, totally AWSOME, no question about it'.. However, the more I study it. I think it needs a little side walk to give it that just right finished look....No grass, maybe a weed or two around the foundation...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  09:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh darn, a dreaded condo meeting.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  10:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Along with a few weeds in the corners and tough tuffs of grass in a spot or two, maybe a small wilted vegetable garden close to the foundation on one side? tomatoes? pole beans?

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  11:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fred,

Is there a back to this beautiful thing?

Can't remember if you mentioned it...(age related )

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  12:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After such an excellent build a party is most appropriate.

It's only make-believe

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  2:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galen I'll keep the walk in mind but I'll probably go back to work on the Oak Grove RR.

Ted and Bill, I'm holding off on weeds and sidewalk for now.

Frank, .

Of course there's a back, Carl, it's just not detailed. Black foam board.

Thanks, railman.

I've added a few interior lights. I'm now waiting for nightfall. Stay tuned.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  8:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All lit up.

Hard to believe football is on already.

Edited by - Terrell on 08/02/2018 9:02:59 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  9:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOTATALLY AWSOME' Fred'.. Nothing better than a fully lighted model. Especially one of this magnitude'..

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 08/02/2018 9:32:19 PM

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000