Railroad Line Forums - The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4
Page: of 40

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  08:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many tenements make a neighborhood?

Neat juxtaposition.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  08:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred,
Fantastic work on your dormers and shingles. Those shingles will be a bear to complete but you can handle it I'm sure.
Rich

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  10:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jerry, Carl and Mike. And Bill for the comparisons.

Rich, the shingles are no worse than doing bricks. The shingles of course are larger but the bricks don't overlap. I finished the end I was working on yesterday and I'm about a third of the way up the front. Of course there's still 8 dormer roofs to do. But I'll get there.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  9:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We definitely have TWO big winners here.. now we need an HO version and Mike's question will be answered'...

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 07/18/2018 9:09:23 PM

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2018 :  9:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's obviously two tenements in the prototype photo. I should have done the one on the left. It doesn't have corbels on the dormers. That must be the low-rent tenement.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2018 :  08:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's obviously two tenements in the prototype photo. I should have done the one on the left. It doesn't have corbels on the dormers. That must be the low-rent tenement. Terrell

I think there are corbels on both buildings' dormers, but the straight on view of the dormer on the left tenement makes the corbel almost disappear against the rest of the dormer frame/trim.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 07/19/2018 08:43:59 AM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2018 :  4:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

We definitely have TWO big winners here.. now we need an HO version and Mike's question will be answered'...

An easy task for any "O scaler", half the size and half the work! What's your hold-up???

Rich

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2018 :  5:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's done in HO then it has to be the whole building. I'm picturing 4 bays, 2 entryways and 16 dormers.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  09:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished shingling the main roof. Still have the dormers to do. I need to decide on the color and whether or not to paint. Or just seal.

And just like the real roofers.....

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  09:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  10:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The roofers just finished shingling the house next door but yours looks better. Well done.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/20/2018 10:30:41 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  10:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Your shingles (slates?) look so real.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  10:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For an application where you might have instead used a pre-cut product in long strips, the choice to use individually applied shingles bears itself out. The little variations come through in the overall feel of the roofing. Very nice.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  11:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jeff and Frank. I bet those roofers didn't make as big a mess either.

Galen, the variation just comes naturally to me.

Mike, I guess the shingles could be slate or asphalt at this point. Except maybe for the variance. Just like the real one. 75-100 years from now someone will see this and ask, "Are those shingles slate or asphalt?". Then a long discussion will begin. And nobody will ever know for sure.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2018 :  11:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrell, Looks wonderful. I love it. Can't wait to get to that stage with mine but yours is a WINNER.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: On building MoW cars Topic Next Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000