Railroad Line Forums - The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars
Page: of 39

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  1:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was leaning towards what Carl said about the trim paint causing the shingles to be shiny (or lighter). But who knows. Also I would have questioned slate shingles conforming to the contour. But I guess Bill ruled that out as a question. I am looking at higher resolution pictures than I'm able to post here (due to resizing) and in that little sliver of roof I posted above I'm almost certain I see granules in the shingles. But all that being said, slate or asphalt, they both have the same "general" look. So the issue is not what they are but how do I replicate them? I'm not sure I can, or want to, make them. The diamond shingles I can make relatively easy with a good pair of pinking shears. Though, again, do I want to? I've been looking around and trying to find some good O scale shingles. But most of the times it's really hard to tell in the thumbnail photos. If they were shake shingles I know what I'd do, I've made enough of those.

So, anybody here recommend a shingle that is at least close to what we see? Something you've used in the past.

Thanks for all the help.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  1:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrell, I have one of those scan N Cut machines, similar to a Cricut, and I am planning on making
my own shingles with it. I will make them to look like 3-tab shingles and anyone can imagine what
they are really made of on the prototype.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  2:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, I like the slate shingles from "Builders in Scale". I use them a lot, not cheap though but, I think they are the best on the market. I also like his other shingles..

I also like very much shingles from "Wild West Models".. You get plenty and a reasonable price...

Slate Shingles, Slate Green - O-scale
Shingles are approx. 11 scale inches wide each.

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 07/06/2018 2:26:10 PM

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  2:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Fred, The original photo you posted is by Jack Delano,
Children with adult in the tenement district, Brockton, Massachusetts, December 1940 (maybe 1939?). It can be found a bunch of places online, but when I looked for it at the Library of Congress website there was a 'No Image Available' notice for some reason.

I've got it!

I don't know if I want to invest in a Scan N Cut for this project, Bob.

I looked at those Ted. And marked them as a possibility. Haven't look at Wild West Models yet, I don't think. Thanks.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  3:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrell, it's really great to see what a fantastic job, that both you & Bob are doing to this tenement building.
For what it's worth, I think the lower roof is a slate one.
I live right accross the street from a slate roof, and have seen a very similar shine to it's surface on a sunny day.
I have never seen an asphalt roof have a shine to it.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  4:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Greg!

But for now, I added a simple version of the downspouts. Just .040x.060 styrene strips. And dirtied things up a bit. So I attached the front yard.

The wax paper is so I didn't glue it to the counter top. That makes it real hard to work on. I did this besides just adding the wood glue. And future glues that hold the dirt in place will also help to stabilize it all.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  4:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My first impression was that the mansard roof was slate and Bill’s post confirms my opinion.

I’ve used the Builders in Scale slate but the last time I looked some colors were no longer available. Now I use the Minuteman Scale Models slate. Unfortunately only light gray is available in O scale.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  5:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could use some commercial slate shingles, but spraypaint them first with a gloss/satin coat before applying, to get that metal look.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  6:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike and Dave !! Painting shingles is not a problem. It really doesn't matter if they are slate or not, I just want to replicate the look.

I wonder if the buildings are still there?

Anybody live near Brockton, Mass? Tomorrow is Saturday, maybe you could swing by there, climb out on the roof...………..

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  7:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, Since slate shingles are bigger than three tab shingles, both width and reveal, one solution might be to use S scale three tab shingles. A light color can be easily changed to look like a slate color.
The only time I've seen slate look shiny is when it's wet, like Greg said. I think the contrast is higher in the Delano photo than it would appear in person and that creates the illusion of shine on the shingles
and other parts of the building.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  9:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, those B.I.S. shingles look much better in person. The web pics are not very accurate.
I think any paper shingle will work. And with your skill, it will not be a problem to make them look real.

Darn good job on those downspouts. You certainly have a knack for fabricating them.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  9:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted. That's what was nice about the LHS, you could walk in and look at what you were thinking about buying, no risk. The last HS that was anywhere near L to me recently closed down.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2018 :  06:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrell, Your structure is looking OUTSTANDING

It has been MANY MANY years since we had a LHS here. I sure do miss them, I remember when we had
three close by.
Keep up that great build, you can be really proud of it.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2018 :  09:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what bob said. this structure is looking better and better all the time. great work!

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2018 :  10:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No LHS here either Fred. Closest one is 100 miles. And he don't sell scratch building supplies..

I sent you an email, seeking you help on a question...

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000