Railroad Line Forums - The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars
Page: of 39

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  5:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike !

Rich, where I've been showing the stairs as of late have been sitting too low. They will be raised up to the bottom of the door trim. No green foam will show there and the rest will be below ground level.

I don't know, Bob, I seem to be keeping myself plenty busy.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  9:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think those bricks are really paper. They look awful real to me. What gets my goat is, I have bought every type of model brick on the market. Wood; paper; plastic; vinyl; even plaster. I can't get any of them to look that authentic. Sure is a mystery to me.... Fred, you must have real LP Masons' on the Terrell....and company payroll...

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  9:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You found me out, Ted.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  9:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so we all agree that this looks fabulous, and there have been several questions on the color of brick used. Given that bricks are, or were, made mostly "locally," what colors were blended to get the results shown here?

I'm modeling the same basic area, need a lot of brick, have several holding down some Homosote on the railroad right now, and cannot for the life of me figure out how to match the colors. The various siennas and oxide reds just aren't doing it for me....

A quick SBS would be most beneficial here and would earn you Great Merit amongst the Peanut Gallery!

Pete
in Michigan

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  9:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, Pete. To the best of my recollection. Starting off with the orange construction paper, which I' never used before but I think was a good base color. Just too orange. When all the brick was laid I went over t=it all with a couple of washes of medium dark I/A. This darkened the orange, turning some almost brown. And where I was fortunate to be clumsy enough to get glue on the face of the brick it left some of the orange showing through. But it was still too mono-tone and not red enough. So I took a very watered down "Red Apple" acrylic paint and dabbed it on lightly with a make-up sponge. When that dried I took some watered down "Burnt Umber" and dabbed it on. When all that dried I sprayed it with Krylon Matte finish to protect the paint. Then I added the mortar. When that dried I went over it all with another I/A wash.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  10:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks. In fact many thanks!

Orange to start (good call) then washes instead of paints. Gotta remember the burnt umber, too.... I'm on this!

Many thanks!

Pete
in Michigan

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  10:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred,
Regarding the emulation of rendering the color of brickwork that one modeler has done and trying it yourself is another story. Don't get me wrong, because I do believe, but it's the "followers" that won't be able to do it exactly like your modeling, no matter how many times they reread it! You have the "gift" for this! LOL
Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  10:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The orange is actually not far off from the color of a freshly-broken face of the brick used for chimneys in our 160 year old house. Time, weather and coall in the fireplaces has turned it to the subtle multitude of colors you achieved.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  12:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Marvelous work!

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  2:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rich, Mike and Ray !!

The basement windows are installed and I'm beginning work on the front yard.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  3:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrell, That is REALLY NICE !!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  3:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred,
I see you used cork for a portion of the ground, that's cool, I have used it too. This is really taking shape and quick too. Nice modeling.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  5:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A beautiful building!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  5:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It keeps getting better! I am looking forward to seeing what you do for the roof...not that I am rushing you!

Chuck

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  8:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob, Rich and Jerry. Rich, we'll see why the cork later.

Chuck, I took a trip to Lowe's Home Improvement earlier today to look at the crown molding that was suggested. What I saw that was even close to working for me was going to be really hard to work with and too expensive for the little bit of it I would need. So right now I'm back to where I was on the roof, exploring options. And working back at ground level.

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000