Railroad Line Forums - Rebuilding an Atlantic NYC&HR rr Ajin brass loco
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: stutz ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Steam Shop
 Rebuilding an Atlantic NYC&HR rr Ajin brass loco
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Headin home Topic Next Topic: Revell 0-6-0T
Page: of 2

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  12:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

If you're interested here another brass build Pictorial.

At first look it seems like half of this engine tender combo is done. Not... First the decaling is the wrong color and I notice why I'm getting a short from the engine.

The pilot wheels are touching the front driver.

Here is a closer look at what I mean.

Next I also noticed the trailing truck wasn't flexing like it should.

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  01:08:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Upon closer inspection I noticed the wheel wasn't moving (see how the axle is up and not down with the gravity).

Turning my attention to the pilot steam chest mounting cross member (which broke loose).

So after measuring exactly where the cross member should go properly (never ass/u/me just because it broke off it should be in the right place). Always double check measurements.

Note: It helps to have a resistance solderer or a set of micro tourches when soldering a heavy gauge like a frame.

Edited by - tct855 on 05/15/2018 01:14:34 AM

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  01:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another good note:

When looking for shorts on a steam locomotive, the brake shoes are usually a good culprit except here these are plastic (which is perfect). No shorts here.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  08:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your thoroughness is impressive. I'll watch and learn even though don't have any brass.

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  1:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Shame on you for not having any shiny gold colored models.

At-A-Boy tho for tuning in Sir! I'll do my best to keep all informed or entertained.

Thanx Thom...

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  2:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My first brass steam was an AHM (Gem reject) HO B&M R-1d 4-8-2 for Xmas about 1980, and I made it run, but I'm tuning in too...

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  6:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a beautiful little locomotive! I'd be tempted to either find a polished brass tender or spend a lot of time removing the paint.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  10:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks for all who are playing & lurking. Ok so after I soldered the frame member solid again.

I discovered the piston slide guides were binding up and not running smooth.

So I polished all moving parts for burrs. Adjusted all moving parts for proper clearance.

Some may ask why would you need to adust any part? Sometimes people who handle a brass engine, wrongfully grab by the driver side rods and that's where things can move. Just sayin'.

Here is a 49 second demo test video for those keeping score. https://youtu.be/fL67U_ID6hM

Right now I'm giving all parts a good chemical n water sonic cleaning and will further inspect for imperfections etc.

If needed I'll give all or any parts a grit blast then chemical bath again.
Thanx Thom...

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  11:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi brass lurkers,

Okay, so after giving the boiler a 20 minute bath the clear coat is starting to soften and peel off.

A total time of 1 hour in 15 minute sessions with light soft brushing of the bigger clear coat pieces leaves this array of brass colors.

While inspecting closer after sonic cleaning. I found two parts that had super glued parts (lower right).

I'll properly solder up and sonic clean the parts again and the painting process begins.
Thanx Thom...

Edited by - tct855 on 05/16/2018 11:34:21 AM

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2018 :  2:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
(below)
Ok so at this point I've painted all major parts with two coats of a custom mixed of Scale Coat black paints.

After letting the paint cure for a week, I closely inspected for any imperfections or scratches and buffed out.

Next I'll start the subassemblies and detail paint, decal and clear coat. Thanx Thom...

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/21/2018 :  10:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a VERY smooth finish. Do you add gloss to your paint, or use a glossy paint to start with?

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  08:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Galen,
I always custom mix each model differently to get different finishes, sheens or colors.

On this model I used Scale Coat paints. I mixed by eye only S1, 1010, satin finish & SC thinner to a thin mix.

Mix well and let sit 1 minute and eye droppered from mixed portion into cup on airbrush.

sprayed two light coats, baked and inspected for any inperfections that need sanding etc.

Touch up sprayed what I needed and what you see is the bare paint before any clear coat for decals yet.

next I'll gloss coat the cab side and tender side only for decals.

Thanks for your inquiry. Hope this helps you. Thanx Thom...

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  09:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thom, sent you an email via the forum.

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  10:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,
Hi, haven't received any e-mail yet. It must be on a delay or it didn't go thru? Thanx Thom...

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  1:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thom, Ok, I just tried sending you a private message instead of another email.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  6:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thom,

Thanks, yes, that does help.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Headin home Topic Next Topic: Revell 0-6-0T  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000