Railroad Line Forums - Etched brass locomotive kit build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Etched brass locomotive kit build
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: 1840 depot on the Hudson River
Page: of 6

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  3:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I thought I would share my building of a etched brass locomotive kit. The kit is a rare HO 1/87 scale (nope not OO scale) kit from a Swedish manufacturer of a English prototype which was imported to Sweden in the 1870s. It was built by Sharp & Stewart.

The kit is made up of etched nickel silver frame with gearbox, cast brass parts and cast metal boiler and superstructure. It is made up traditionally like many English locomotive kits from for example DJH and Alan Gibson. I have wanted to build this one for a long time and now I have cleared the table for it. Yes I know its not of a American prototype but its Early rail The aim is to show that its not that difficult with some patience and quite simple tools to build a etched brass model. I probably have to eat that many times as the kit comes without instructions

So if you feel so inclined please follow along for something completely different......

Here are the various parts laid out. The gearbox have to be built using parts from the etched sheet and the various gears.

The first I did was cut out the frame on a hard wood surface using a Xacto knife. I then folded the sides using my fingers being careful to get them bent evenly until the sides where parallel and in a 90deg angel to the two top sheets, see picture below. The scissor is a cheap one used for nails which is quite useful cutting of part from the sheet. The part on the left is the gearbox.

The next thing was to add the 6 brass bearings to the holes in the sides. The holes needed a careful reaming. Do not at any circumstance use a file or something similar as it can build in inaccuracies. When enlarging a hole always use a reamer. Here bearings are in their holes with the ones toward the work table fluxed and waiting for solder.

The soldering iron was then applied with the tip primed with solder. I use Carrs 145deg solder and the soldering iron on the highest temp at 450 deg. The flux gets the solder to flow and the solder should afterward be able to be seen on the other side of the frame if the solder joint is well made.

The bearings were then filed flush with the inside.

To be continued....

Håkan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  4:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to more!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  4:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This looks very interesting!

Is this out of production Håkan?

And who is the manufacturer?

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  4:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done, Håkan!

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  5:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, just when you think you've seen it all in our hobby, someone like you and this etched brass loco come strolling in.
Never seen one of those before, and in your capable hands I'm certain it will come out looking beautiful!

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  6:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely... I second what Greg says above! It will be a stunning showpiece for sure.

Rich

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  7:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting project. It will be interesting to see your progress and your methods will be an education.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  8:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're off to a good start, Håkan. This will be fun to follow.

George

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  11:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting Hakan, I'll certainly be following along. About a year ago you posted a link to a British Modeler building kits of this style. I learned a lot for it and I assume I'll learn a lot for you.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2018 :  1:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys! I hope to have something more this evening to show.

Carl, its a Swedish very small manufacturer called HNJ verkstad. They (one person operation) has renamed the business. Here are their homepage:
http://www.vagnverkstaden.eu/

Glad to hear from you Bob. I remember those Youtube clips here they are again and with some new ones very informative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1DGQsXapFk&t=5260s
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOOcwsW5GlwquleMmGHxsMw

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2018 :  2:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
….after filing down the bearings I reamed them gently using a tapered reamer. Don’t use a file, drill or something else as it surely will doom a sweet running mechanism.

I thought the chassie was a bit flimsy so to strengthen it I added plates at both ends. These didn’t come with the kit so I made them from some sheet brass I had laying around.

After that I started on the gearbox. I folded the gearbox and installed as I think it should be placed. The kit came with some 2mm axle stock which I cut to length and added to the gearbox. Everything fits quite well but its a bit frustrating not having any instructions let alone photos as reference.

Here is a factory photo of the locomotive together with a photo of one that is preserved. It has a very nice green color scheme.

To be continued.....

Håkan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2018 :  3:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crackin' good, Håkan!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  12:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking good, indeed. Are you going to Americanize this engine?

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  12:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're doing nice neat work, Håkan. Looking at the frame, it makes a lot of sense to reinforce it the way you did.

George

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  12:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, very nice work, Håkan!

Pete
in Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  6:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Swedish is a little rusty to peruse that website. Did the 'kit' include the motor? Did the bushings need to be reamed out, or were you cleaning up solder/resin? It will be a cool looking engine, and you're do a fine job on it.

Jim

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: 1840 depot on the Hudson River  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000