Railroad Line Forums - Bailey's Produce FSM #JS2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bailey's Produce FSM #JS2
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sylvan  HO Scale Great Lakes Lumber Boat Topic Next Topic: Showcase of FSM kits built by us, for George  

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  3:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

Been working on this kit for about A wekk.
Here's a photo of my progress.

Karl S.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  4:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

Here's another photo. I fixed the crooked tire casting. I'm not sure I'm not sure how happy I am with the stucco.

For some reason can't file another photo

Karl S.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  4:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

Not at all happy with this color. I'm changing it to Floquil Aged Concrete per the instructions.

Karl S.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  12:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
I'm looking forward to your Bailey's build. I always liked the looks of the building and your work is going to do justice to the build.
Dave

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  3:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, actually, I like the greenish stucco. It is unique and something different from
the usual concrete colors'.. for stucco'...

Ted

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  5:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Don't sweat the stucco! The paper siding/shingles look terrific! Did you cut those by hand, or pre-cut in a kit?

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  6:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iím looking forward to watching this develop. While the green stucco looks ok to me, it does remind me of what happens to stucco in a shady spot in a humid climate: mold. Itís worth the effort to get it the way you like.

Great job. I really like the shingle siding.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 04/20/2018 6:33:04 PM

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  6:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Ted. Stucco does get painted sometimes. It doesn't have to be concrete color.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  11:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl your off to a good start.

My personal opinion I love the siding, doors & windows but I think the green takes away from the rest of the build.

That's just me. Please continue.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  1:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, always great to see your work. I'm liking the coloring of the tires in the casting, can't wait to seeing the casting horizontal. I'm also really liking the rusted door hinges and door plates on the two doors. Good seam along where the wall meets the shingles.

I had to really study the stucco wall for a bit to figure what was 'off' to my eye as the color did not put me off. I actually kind of like the coloring and all of the subtle earth/yellow-green values you achieved in the stucco wall.

I finally settled on the the 'texture' issue. It took a while to realize that the stucco wall texture is greater than the depth/relief of the hinges on the large door. You have a heavy texture line at about a 45 degree angle line in the stucco texture below the shingled wall door leading the viewers eye away from the door and to the wall texture, thus making the texture stand out more. I don't know if knocking down the texture a bit would help, but just a property of the wall which I noticed. The angled texture line is also some of the most heavy/predominant texture in the entire stucco wall, so my mind focused on the texture rather than the coloring. Hope this helps.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 04/22/2018 2:09:13 PM

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  4:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All:

WOW!!! Thanks for all the comments Here's a photo.
I decided to go with a completely corrugated roof. I painted it to match the rolled roofing. Looking for comments as to how it looks. Also change the stucco to aged concrete.

Was wondering how the corrugated roof looks before I glue it in place.

Karl

Previous Topic: Sylvan  HO Scale Great Lakes Lumber Boat Topic Next Topic: Showcase of FSM kits built by us, for George  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000