Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Avalon Tippi Foam Cutter
Page: of 26

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/27/2018 :  10:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it helps to take a break and work on something else for a while.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/27/2018 :  11:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a break is fine just don't start a remodeling job

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  4:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

In the October 2013 NMRA Magazine there was an article “Build an Easy-Peasy Layout Bridge” that you might find useful. I stumbled across it while straightening up a little today.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  6:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did some putzing.

To address the concern with cutting away the splines for a bridge, here's my thoughts:
1. Glue the splines to the risers.
2. Make sure the area for the bridge is straight. This should relieve most of the tension that comes from a curve.

What Craig Bisgeier showed me is to tack-glue (with the hot glue) a block of wood to the first spline, to set the straight section. Here's that block clamped into place, to see if I like it and if the resulting curves are acceptable on either side. (They are, after I moved some risers.)

You can see the (standard gauge) spur to the left ending just before the blue level. In terms of scenery, I'm thinking about a relatively small creek running from top center to bottom right, with a road alongside. To the right of the spur, and centered in this photo, I'll put some industry. The NG will be on a relatively long (15") trestle over the road and creek behind the industry. (Maybe a coal dealer, I have an old FSM kit for a coal dealer.)

The other thing I looked at again is the area around the drop gate. I pulled a turnout out of the packaging so I could lay a QuickStick to make sure the track aligned correctly. On the left side is the template for a FastTracks #6 double crossover (the turnout jig is on order.) I'm mulling over whether I want that crossover to the left or right of the line going off to the small yard over the drop gate.

(Any thoughts, anyone? The original plan has that whole area single-track, but we started laying in double track because I thought it would make for better operations, including a long lead for the big yard.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 05/28/2018 6:08:09 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  6:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my thought are; It sounds like you have a sound approach to bridge installation. It should work fine. The more track on the gate, the more rolling stock you have to move to use. Isn't there somewhere else you can put the trackwork?

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  6:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gate will be single-track, connecting the two yards (not directly). See the plan on Page 1 here.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  6:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

The gate will be single-track, connecting the two yards (not directly). See the plan on Page 1 here.

dave

Yes, I'm sorry I miss-read around as across.

It's only make-believe

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  8:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For maximum utility on the yard side, leave at least the length of a locomotive between the scissors crossover points and the fouling point of the gate track. I see two arguments for putting it on the other side: Meets when using the gate track for continuous running, and a longer switching lead available while using one of the two tracks for arrival/departure. One argument against is that it extends the 'terminal' feeling farther out into layout you may want to look like something else.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  08:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, James, that's a big help!

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  1:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Splines are installed for the NG run along the back wall.

and

I only needed 4 splines for the NG track, but I ran a 5th spline to reinforce some of the sharp curves. The extra width shouldn't be visible once it's sceniced, etc.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 05/29/2018 1:54:34 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  3:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you come up with a place where you want to model 'ends of the ties almost completely out of the ballast on a cheaply built fill', and the splines interfere, you can always shave the corner off the outermost ones with a utility knife.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  4:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

If you come up with a place where you want to model 'ends of the ties almost completely out of the ballast on a cheaply built fill', and the splines interfere, you can always shave the corner off the outermost ones with a utility knife.

I have one of those oscillating trim flush cutting saws, and they work great on the hardboard. (https://www.rockwelltools.com/sonicrafter-f80-oscillating-tool-rk5151k.html )

dave

Edited by - deemery on 05/29/2018 6:52:29 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  6:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

For maximum utility on the yard side, leave at least the length of a locomotive between the scissors crossover points and the fouling point of the gate track. I see two arguments for putting it on the other side: Meets when using the gate track for continuous running, and a longer switching lead available while using one of the two tracks for arrival/departure. One argument against is that it extends the 'terminal' feeling farther out into layout you may want to look like something else.

If I move the crossover "before" the turnout to the gate/small yard, does that "leave 1 engine length" still apply? The more I think about this, there are advantages to that. If nothing else, both tracks can feed trains to the small yard.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  6:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David White asked me, "How do you do the splines with only 1 person/2 hands?" It ain't easy!. Prior planning is essential, including (1) knowing where you'll put the hot glue gun as soon as you've used it to put some glue on a spline; (2) having all your clamps where you can get to them easily; (3) use one clamp to keep the spline you're working on from falling away; (4) don't do too much at one shot; (5) sufficient good luck talismans close at hand :-)

dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  7:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any good single malt involved here, or is that a violation of Rule G?

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 26 Topic Next Topic: Avalon Tippi Foam Cutter  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000