Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 188 ]  [ Total: 193 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Page: of 53

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  08:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Nicely done, Dave, but if that is true PC board with copper on both sides, and you have not yet gapped the underside, you may find some nasty surprises down the road. Sneak circuit down the screw, under the board and back up the other screw for a short....

Pete
in Michigan

That shouln't be an issue, since there's wood underneath the screws. But I'll put the voltmeter on it and check.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  08:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Dave. And a nice tutorial.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  1:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete finally got me to understand the short circuit through the bottom of the PC Board. So the problem was how to cut a notch underneath without ripping everything out. On the outside tracks, it wasn't too hard, since those were short sections that lead to the PC Board crossing.

On the bridge itself, the challenge was to get access to the bottom without having to relay all of the track. I carefully pried up the track and then used a triangle file to cut the notch from underneath.

An advantage of caulk is it's easy to remove/reposition track, slip a thin blade putty knife between the track and roadbed. Then you can put a light coat of caulk to refasten the track.

The other problem is figuring out how to check the notch. I've found a small make-up compact is invaluable for trackwork!

Finally, a photo of the drop gate dropped, its normal location.

Edited by - deemery on 06/08/2020 1:35:17 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  1:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why not cut a notch in between the outside rails and the screws? That would isolate the screws from the rails.

Chuck

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  2:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Why not cut a notch in between the outside rails and the screws? That would isolate the screws from the rails.

Chuck

Well, darn! That would have been A LOT EASIER!

(You can tell that I'm not used to reasoning about electrical connectivity... )

dave

Edited by - deemery on 06/08/2020 2:14:50 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  4:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck is correct on this one, AFAIK (I'm not an engineer, don't play one on Tee-Vee, and didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night), but I should have seen and suggested that option on the front end of the off-list discussion with Dave....

Sorry Dave... It's been a Long week here, and I'm probably more tired than I think....

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  4:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did get to test the adjustability of the track on the gate, I know I can wiggle it a bit if I need to because of expansion/contraction.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  4:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least you can see the silver lining.

Bob

It's only make-believe

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  5:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I only wish I saw Pete's comment, earlier, Dave.

Chuck

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  7:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the interim wiring:

I'm kinda all "clevered out" at this point. But the way it's wired is that one rail is fed from each approach. About 5" of approach track on each side is also wired into the bridge. So if the bridge is connected, the bridge track and both approaches have power. If the bridge is not connected, then neither approach track has power.

I also connected the remaining parts of the main line, soldering feeders and connecting them into the track bus. So tomorrow, at least in theory, I can run a train around the entire layout in a big circle.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 06/08/2020 7:19:53 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  7:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running a train around sounds therapeutic to me.... Enjoy!

Pete
in Michigan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  9:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, right in the middle you a potential short. Your isolation cuts are not aligned giving you about 1/8" where the plates overlap and could short out with a little help. A little nail polish will safe guard things.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  9:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good eye, Bob!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  08:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave had mentioned the misaligned cuts earlier; that was what my suggestion of filing at an angle to remove copper at the edges was intended to fix.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  4:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't get the loco all the way around the layout. I found one place where I forgot to add feeders, and a couple of bad suitcase connectors. The last one defeated me, because I ran out. So more are on order, and with a bit of luck I should make it all the way around the layout Thursday.

dave

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000