Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 170 ]  [ Total: 175 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Page: of 53

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2020 :  07:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A moving experience captured on video, Good Going, Dave.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2020 :  09:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the bumps are due to a slight track height mis-match. The reworked Peco turnouts are code 75 or maybe even code 80, the rest of the rail is ME code 70. I've tried to smooth out those bumps, but more work there may be needed.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2020 :  10:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Dave!

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2020 :  10:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A milestone for sure, Dave.

Bruce

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2020 :  3:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In order to label the switch machine power feeds, I needed to figure out a naming scheme for the turnouts.

If/when I do powered switch machines for the standard gauge, I'll do a schematic and naming scheme for them, too. If nothing else, I'll have switches to power on/power off each standard gauge staging track, and those will need power. (The board is the Tam Valley 12v-5v converter board.)

Back to running the 12v DC auxiliary power bus around the layout....

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2020 :  4:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, which switch machines are you using?

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/31/2020 :  5:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using Tam Valley SwitchWrights, with the relay (and DCC receiver, not currently using that) http://tamvalleydepot.com/products/switchwrightmachine.html The relay powers the frogs. I got a couple of the similar Walthers products to experiment with, there are some places on the standard gauge where I might well use them, even if most of the standard gauge I end up using 'manual' turnout controls.

For the standard gauge staging yard tracks, I'm looking at Berrett Hill (relay) controls http://www.touchtoggle.com. And for the track power interlocking at the standard/narrow crossover, I'll use a custom Arduino-driven set of relays (and hopefully also the automated ball signal, still design work to figure out how to best convert a servo rotary motion to vertical motion to raise/lower the ball.)

Bob, any thoughts on servo motion to vertical motion?

Oh, and today I ran the test loco through all the turnouts and on both runarounds.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 05/31/2020 6:00:11 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pulled some bus wires through the benchwork, and then hooked up the DC powerpack to the HOn30 line in the main train room. Then I ran the test loco up the mountain to the quarry location and tested both spurs there. All good.

My FastTracks order arrived today with the long ties for the crossover project. I'll need to decide if I want to tackle that project next, or do something that I enjoy more than trackwork :-)

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  7:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
just turn them sideways so that the arm is moving vertically. Check this out; https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2012-03-mar

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  1:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working on the dropgate. The frame is extruded aluminum, which makes it very strong and sturdy. Here's the hinge

and on the other side, the barrel latch. It's not really designed to be affixed like this, so I used an MDF spacer to align it correctly.

The view from above:

Holding the subroadbed in place to check alignment, functionality (i.e. dropping and restoring the gate), etc

Finally, adjusting the homasote height.

Next steps are to lay the center line for the track, add the actual roadbed, and ponder the electrical and track connections. I have some ideas...

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2020 :  8:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the olden days, they'd test bridges by driving a train full of locomotives on it:

In this case, the bricks are holding the homabed in position. But it does show how rigid the aluminum gate is.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  4:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More work on the drop gate. I laid the track end-to-end.

Then I marked and cut notches through the homabed/homasote. Talking to Don Ball, he suggests using MDF at the interface, as it's dimensionally more stable. That makes sense to me, I've had problems with homasote expansion. So I cut the notches for the piece of MDF.

Also I glued some pieces of 1/32 plywood to get a piece of 1/2 homasote to the correct height. The glue is drying today, tomorrow I can cut that piece into strips and test-fit into the notches. I'm sure I'll need to do more filing/sanding to get rid of the glue residue and get everything back to level.

dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  5:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That square aluminum construction rod from 80-20 sure looks right st home on your layout. Very clean!

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  6:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is very instructive, Dave.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  7:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, very nice Dave. This is something I don't think I would ever attempt for myself.

Chuck

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000