Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 211 ]  [ Total: 215 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Page: of 53

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  12:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm inclined to put the onus on the Standard Gauge loco to de-conflict with the Narrow Gauge, based on my history that the NG was there first. And NG operations will be a lot less frequent than SG, so that's not a huge restriction.

Speaking of Operating restrictions, if the SG needs to pull a train out of the yard to do some switching, they'll be required to talk to the operator at the SG/NG crossing, to set the Ball Signal there for NG operations (which will block any incoming trains from the other room on the SG line.) :-) In the most recent previous photo, you can follow the SG and NG tracks to where the crossing is, just around the corner in the other room (just beyond that bottle of glue.) I'll position the ball signal so it's visible to operators in the staging yard, as well as SG/NG operators in the main layout room.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  6:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Id be inclined to fix it now before a novice engineer sideswipes a train. But we all have different priorities and I hate to see models damaged if it could be avoided.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  8:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, you've come a long way. But only when we're both reasonably certain we aren't contagious.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  9:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it does look like you're having fun and it's is going to be fun to operate too.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  8:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOn30 line is installed, rail joiners soldered and power feeds installed (but not wired to the bus).

I still haven't decided on that 2 track spur, but that can wait for later.

Once the track is connected to the bus, I'll try to drive a loco over it. (I got a used Kato N scale F3 as the test loco :-) )

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  9:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hurrah!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  9:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at-a-boy Dave. Keep he rolling.

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2020 :  8:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A peek under the covers... There's a short section of HOn30 track between two turnouts, plus wires to the switch machines to power/switch the frog. Not installed yet are the power feeds for the switch machines (some of the parts didn't arrive as expected today...)

I figure when I'm done I'll do a full schematic, label the turnouts and track sections, and add tags on the wires.

dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2020 :  8:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

<snip>
I figure when I'm done I'll do a full schematic, label the turnouts and track sections, and add tags on the wires.

dave

Dave,

Strongly recommend that you start the labeling process as soon as you know this works, and well before Life Intervenes....

Trust me on this!

Pete
in Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2020 :  11:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Pete said! I see you went with the WAGO connectors.

Jim

Take the red pill

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2020 :  08:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The double-sided tape sticks much better to the plywood here than it does to the Masonite splines.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2020 :  7:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I didn't do anything on the layout, I just read some books. Today I made up for that.

All of the switch machines (Tam Valley SwitchWrights) on the HOn30 line are now wired in.

I do have a color code for wiring, even if it doesn't follow standard practices (that's in part due to materials and in part due to starting some parts of the wiring before I saw some standards.)

The (Black or Grey) and White wire are the track bus. The wires taped together are for the HOn30 line (if they're not taped, they are the standard gauge wiring.) Track frog feeders are red. Switch Machine power (5v DC) is Red and White. The 3 wire cables are extension cables for the switch machine controllers.

Everything is connected together with Wago lever connectors. That way I can separate each significant wire from its source/destination.

There's still more work to do, particularly including checking and correcting the frog relays. On the right switch machine, those are the Grey, Red and White wires coming out of the screw connectors at the back of the PC board. Grey and White are connected to the power bus, Red to the frog wire. I'll power up the switch machine and check connectivity on the turnout, to make sure that the frog has the right power for how it's thrown. If not, I just switch the Grey and White wires on the switch machine itself. The other "adjustment" is making sure the controller for the turnout has the right indication. But that can wait for whenever I get around to installing the fascia. In the near term, after I get the switch machines powered, I can just have the controllers hanging loose in front of the layout. (Of course, before I do that, i'll have to check the connectivity on the full run of HOn30 track!)

So still more work, but at least the worst of the under-layout wiring and connecting is done. And I've learned how to construct Dupont connector jumper cables.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 05/25/2020 8:03:34 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2020 :  8:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, youve been busy. Remember, you only need standards for yourself and your layout. You can let the rest of the world have their own.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2020 :  11:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Dave, cut and paste that wiring description into your layout "user guide", so when you get old and can't remember, you'll have that handy.

Jim

Take the red pill

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2020 :  08:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good indeed.

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000