Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 250 ]  [ Total: 250 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Page: of 53

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  12:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree it came out nice.

Bob

It's only make-believe

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  08:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, expect a visit from the EPA inspectors.

Jim

Take the red pill

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  2:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I touched up the paint on the outflow casting.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  3:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic. A very impressive structure with all those windows and fieldstone foundation.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 02/12/2020 3:05:31 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking mill, Dave. I like the way you've built it into the hillside.

George

Fly Army

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  5:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job, Dave. Came out well.

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  9:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in that strange mood to work on track and wiring. Today's frustration was with suitcase connectors. The wire I'm using for my bus has pretty tough insulation, and I broke almost half of the connectors trying to get the metal bar through the insulation. So I didn't finish. But I did make significant progress, got several spurs wired in, connected one part of the layout that I started ad didn't tie to the bus, and then started on the lead to the staging yard.

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  08:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My experience fixing other people's suitcase connectors is why I have all wire nuts under my layout. The little blue ones will even connect two telco 24 GA solid, though I only do that temporarily.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  2:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't posted here lately, but lots going on. I ran the HOn30 track from the quarry down to the start of the yard, including the small runaround and turntable lead. That includes positioning the turntable. Then I worked some more on the standard gauge track in the (same) staging yard. One thing I did last night was add back the missing ties under where I soldered track pieces together. That's a small item that made a big difference in making the track look finished.

The NG turntable will be just in front of where the the building walls are (you can see the hole). The standard gauge turntable will be in that hole to the right. Both are Kitwood Hills models.

Additionally, I've been studying Arduino to control the standard/narrow gauge crossing (around the corner to the right in the other room), including a ball signal to indicate which line has authority to pass.

Turns out a couple of bricks are useful for weighing down track as you glue the roadbed (and PowerBase plates) and then track into place. The HOn30 track is glued down using Titebond III (over the PowerBase plates, also glued down with Titebond III because it's a waterproof glue.) The standard gauge track has been put down with caulk, and I'll probably continue that. One area of concern is the curved turnout at the staging yard throat, which is on a bit of a ramp to get up to the main line (Homabed) elevation. I'm comfortable with the slope there, the fact that turnout is all-told about 15" long helps make it stable. I added a turnout at the end of both the NG line and one standard gauge line, so I can run engines around a train (instead of using the 0-5-0 to reposition the engine and caboose.)

Also, I got a lot of work done on the refinery (talked about in the Early Rail Oil thread), but still have plenty of work to do there, too.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 05/03/2020 2:39:03 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  2:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to see progress. My stepson is hoping circumstances allow him to see your layout at some point (along with several others in the area).

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  3:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Good to see progress. My stepson is hoping circumstances allow him to see your layout at some point (along with several others in the area).

As soon as we're allowed out of the house, you-all are welcome at any time! We can test the new track wiring, too.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  09:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More work on the staging yard, concentrating on the narrow gauge track.

On both narrow and standard gauges, I added runarounds, so I could detach the loco from the train, send it to the turntable to turn around or into an engine house.

Those bricks make great (inexpensive) weights to hold down the roadbed or track while the glue dries.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  10:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

It’s that time of the year when model railroaders have yard work both inside and out. That’s going to be a nice scene.

Let me know if you need somebody to do a “yank test” on every drop to see if it’s soldered securely to the rail.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  11:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, you're welcome to come and yank on wires at any time (once we're allowed out of the house). NH is a nice place to visit, most of the time. (Not today, though. Snow flurries, now cold rain showers and lots of wind.)

I did make a design error with the standard gauge yard ladder a bit too close to the narrow gauge track. So it'll be an operational restriction to not run both SG and NG at the same time through that choke point (I think there's enough clearance.) I'll have to model an offset switch stand, something the prototype occasionally had to do, too. The history is "The NG was there first, when the SG decided to expand its yard." :-)

dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  12:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Dave!

Sounds like a good place for "Special Instructions," too:
"17a: Enginemen shall not operate Standard Gauge equipment between (x) and (y) while Narrow Gauge equipment is using that location.
"17b: Neither Narrow Gauge nor Standard Gauge equipment shall be stored or left between (x) and (y) due to clearance issues."

Or something....

Enjoy!

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000