Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 241 ]  [ Total: 241 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Page: of 53

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  12:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Much better. The colors no longer looks like those on a mid 20th Century suburban house.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/15/2019 01:36:28 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2019 :  10:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A small but significant accomplishment last night: I soldered a code 70 section to the code 55 track that leads to the mill spur.
(Here's how: I got a 5" "RibbonRail" track gauge, laid it into both the code 55 track and the code 70 track. I pinched flat a pair of rail joiners, slipped them on the code 70 track, and then re-tested the alignment with the RibbonRail in place. When I was happy, I flipped the track back over, soldered the rail joiners into place with the Ribbonrail gauge in position.)

And I ordered the window glazing from Tichy, once that arrives I can finish the window castings and then glue the walls together.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 10/17/2019 10:54:58 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2019 :  11:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good progess! If you didn't run an NMRA gauge through the joint to see if there is a 'catch' already, now's the time. I prefer a 4" knife file for that kind of adjustment.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  8:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another small but significant accomplishment tonight: I added glazing to all the windows and doors. (That's my least-favorite part of structure building.) Tomorrow I can assemble the walls.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  7:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Windows and doors are installed, walls are assembled. I also started on roof panels.

One door is open on the railroad loading dock, so I'll need to add some boxes and stuff, and maybe a worker or two.

I'm quite happy with the wall coloring. It's what I wanted, somewhat weathered siding with doors/windows that look like they're in better condition/better paint.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 10/19/2019 7:48:00 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  12:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really looks nice Dave.

It really goes well with the other buildings great scene in the making!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  1:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roof panels are done. The clerestory walls are next, they'll be a bit of a challenge. I need to figure out the spacing, then cut the pieces to fit in between the window castings.

I'm thinking about doing that particular piece in styrene, rather than wood.

I cut the panels from thin plywood, with heavy duty wood bracing (to help remove the warp from the plywood.) Anyone know any tricks to keep those thin but strong sheets of plywood from warping so badly?

dave

Edited by - deemery on 10/20/2019 2:14:32 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  7:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The clerestory windows are done. The top roof piece is set in place, I'll have to figure out how to clamp it to get a better fit.

Here's a shot of the overall Mill Valley scene.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  8:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Dave.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  8:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Dave!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  8:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks nice. My current build has some parts I made out of the Revell 1/32" birch plywood that Michaels sells. One bit warped the basswood clapboard I laminated it to, so I made the two new roof panels from two layers of the plywood, glued face to face with opposite warps, then let it dry 36 hours under a weighted glass sheet. No re-warping yet.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  9:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very nice build Dave.

It's only make-believe

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  11:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking group of buildings. Your 3story looks tilted to the right might need to check level. The small red brick (powerhouse?) building kind of disappears but the backdrop might mitigate the effect. You have ideas for the foreground?

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  12:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave your getting there now. Nice job. Keep the updates coming.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  5:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wife finished painting the mill pond (piece of styrene) to match the backdrop. (It actually looks better than the photos, that's currently a dark corner and will need special attention when I do layout lighting.)

Next steps here are to glue down the 'mill pond', "paint" it with gloss medium, add the waterfall over the dam and the water along the mill stream. I also need to permanently attach the backdrops, which will be a challenge.

dave

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000