Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 266 ]  [ Total: 267 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Page: of 53

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  4:06:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This afternoon, the bottle of gloss medium arrived, so I poured it over the creek bed, thickness somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8". This stuff ("pourable gloss medium") is a bit thinner than the stuff I used previously, but it was still pretty thick and I had to work it along the edges to get it to level out. We'll see how it looks when it's dry!!

Before the pour, looking back towards the temporary dam at the edge of the layout:

And the pour:

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 09/28/2019 4:11:08 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  4:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if that's any indication on how the flow looks and dries like that. It could be a home run Dave!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  5:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, as long as the "run" isn't to the "home" through some invisible pinhole and thence down, down, down....

This should create a very nice base for whatever wave action you decide to add later on.

Best wishes for a great cure!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  7:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good so far.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  9:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks goos so far. Who product is this?

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  1:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there are some cracks in the pour, and it didn't self-level very well. It's A Good Thing this is not the final coat.

dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  2:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch. Best wishes for a quick, successful, permanent fix!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  6:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I once used a thick pour of gloss medium to make a pond and it too cracked in the process of drying. I was hoping you would have better luck. Still, it sounds like you have a plan. It will be a very dramatic scene in the end.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  12:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can see some of the extensive cracking and shrinkage here.

My plan is to do another pour of the gloss medium, just to fill in the cracks. (Another bottle arrives tomorrow.) Then I'll do translucent paint on top of that, and let things dry thoroughly before doing a Magic Water pour for the main coat. A little unevenness in this layer won't be a problem, it'll just look like "water turbulence effects" underneath the clear Magic Water (I hope!)

dave

Edited by - deemery on 09/30/2019 12:25:26 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  12:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd consider waiting a week or so for the white bits to cure out, and then reevaluating. Your overall Plan sounds good to me, but keep the coats thin!

Best wishes!

Pete
in Michigan

nortonw
Section Hand

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  12:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Pete said keep the coats thin. The cracks occur because the drying from top to bottom is different. Thinner coats dry more evenly and shouldn't crack.

Norton

The V & T lives in my garage (soon)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  9:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The white parts are still moist and probably somewhat soft. Cleaning a Gloss Medium surface with water can re-moisten it enough to get cloudy, but not outright white. Filling in cracks is going to produce more thick/thin sections. I hope it works, but I'm a little afraid that your cracks may be filled with more cracks.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  10:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

That looks like what happened to my pond. Id give it lots of time to completely cure.

Mike

boomer44
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  10:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Hm... two part mix for the gloss medium?
Anyway let everything cure until the cloudiness goes away. You have a lot of bubbles in there also. Try exhaling across the pour to pop the bubbles next time. Pour a very thin layer to fill the cracks. Let cure and go from there.

Worst case scenario... tear the river bed out and start over... Yep... done it... and it hurts... or... very turbulent water flow if you can live with it.

Gordon Spalty

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  09:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AFAIK the carbon dioxide (exhaling or from a flame) is specific to epoxies like Enviro-Tex.

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: NMRA AP Scenery Certificate Support Thread Topic Next Topic: Harmony Junction Switching Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000