Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Tunnel liner
Page: of 39

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  7:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My approach for coloring stone is to prime the mortar color, then sponge-paint the stone. This works best when there's a lot of relief between the stone and mortar lines, which is certainly true for NE Brownstone castings. Before priming, I filled the gaps where the pieces went together with small amounts of plaster. I re-roughened the stones and dug out the mortar lines to match the rest of the wall.

Then I primed with "Bob Ross" grey gesso, lightened with a shot of cream color craft paint, and thinned. I apply this with a chip brush, scrubbing the color into the mortar lines. One disadvantage of this technique is that I lose some of the great rough rock facings on the castings. But that's OK, the foundation stones would have probably been weathered smooth.

It looks a lot better already.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  3:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working on the foundation coloring. (The stone mill's foundation is drying on the workbench, I added another section to it.) The goal was to get coloring that was distinct from the bridge and the stone walls. It's my usual sponge-painting technique with overlays of multiple (craft paint) colors.

First attempt. Looks too much like the bridge.

And not enough contrast with the stone walls:

So I darkened it, and this definitely looks better. (Stone mill sitting there just for the color check.)

Tomorrow, once the glue is dry, I'll do the other foundation with the same set of colors. They don't have to match exactly, but the idea is the stone was taken from the same quarry but at different times.

dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  8:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Dave.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  10:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it looks better darker

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  11:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, dark looks good. You achieved a nice differentiation between the different stones.

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 07/14/2019 11:14:02 PM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  11:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree - the darker grey works much better.

I'm interested to see this scene come together. With the bare bones it is difficult to know what the finished product will look like - which makes it quite an adventure.

Cheers, Mark.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  8:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The coal trestle behind the brick mill. This is a close-up of a scene that I don't expect people to look at intensely (so they won't notice it's a terrible design for a coal trestle!)

That's the track that has been giving me fits, particularly getting that curve correct just before the trestle starts. I think I may just hand-lay it.

Mark, if you look at the last picture in the previous set, you can see the plywood dam between the two mills in the distance. There'll be a corridor between the two buildings (at the top of the stone mill level) to help hide the transition to the backdrop.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 07/15/2019 8:32:43 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  08:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stone mill foundation is done.

dave

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  11:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Very Well Done!!

David Guffey

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  11:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Dave!

Pete
in Michigan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  2:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The powerhouse has that proper came along later look. I think people will find the spur "alley" very interesting.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  5:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

The powerhouse has that proper came along later look. I think people will find the spur "alley" very interesting.

That's a bash of the "Pure Water Company" styrene kit. I have another wall that I'll put at the butt end of the spur, to block the view past that point. (It'll look like an extension of the powerhouse.)

From what I can see, boilers were common late 19th century add-ons, to provide heat and later light. Most of the mills here continued to use water power to drive the machines until they closed ('20s and '30s.)

dave

Edited by - deemery on 07/17/2019 5:08:39 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  6:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some serious progress this weekend. The boiler house and its extension are more-or-less done. The coal trestle is way too close, but you have to bend over the benchwork to get this view. The white boxes on the far left are a placeholder for a future warehouse building.

The white stuff between the brick mill and the bridge is the new Woodland Scenics foil backed scenery product. I like it for these complex areas (I first cut a paper template, then used that once I got the shape to cut the scenery former.) The fabric by the stone mill is just to get a rough idea of topography.

I also need to do rock castings under the exposed part of each stone foundation, and get the river bed roughed in.

dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  3:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pondering the topography to the right of the stone mill. I think this looks pretty good. Running a cut by that external corner should help de-emphasize it.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  4:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

That must be one of the more challenging areas of your layout to scenic. And you jumped right in straightaway. Youíre doing a fine job.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: Tunnel liner  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000