Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Jamboree Kit Topic Next Topic: Transition Era Road and Street Striping
Page: of 40

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  9:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

And when you're working solo, clamps are your friends!

dave

After retirement the first layout I built alone I had 10 clamps from dewalt. Xmas was coming and told my Santa wife I wanted 10 more. Should have asked for 20 but Because of them I got it completed. The next layout my daughter and her friend helped. One never has enough clamps. It all looks great Dave, continue the fun!

TomO

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  3:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benchwork is complete (except for track risers) in the main train room.

I still need to do the small yard and the connector gate, but those depend in large part on the actual track height.

Still, it feels really good to get this done, even if I now look at it and say, "I still have a LOT of work to do!"

Does anyone have experience with Homabed-the-company?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 04/21/2018 4:13:50 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  10:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Dave! Your getting the part I like the least out of the way. The fun part is now just beginning!

Mark

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  11:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Dave. Looking forward to the next step.

That's after you do your yard work!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  12:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kinda like the carpentry part. I'm not a fan of trackwork or electrical, so the next phase will be a bit tough.

dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  8:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job. Envious.

Jim

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  7:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the framing is in for the small yard.

I need to rip 1" wide (exactly) boards to use as joists underneath the plywood (which is just sitting in place), to get it to the correct height.

Rain tomorrow, but if it's not raining too hard I guess I can move the wife's car out of the garage to rip one board. (But first I have to go buy a 1x3 :-) ) I'm putting homasote on top of the plywood, so I have something I can spike into for the yard tracks (HO and HOn30.) Once the track is in place, I'll decide if I have room for a turntable to the right, towards the bathroom door.

And as a break between benchwork sessions, I've been working on a Canfield/McGlone kit of a Wabash 4 truck extra heavy duty flatcar.

I've talked to Ed Traxler about a load for this, which will go on my next Shapeways order.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  8:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

That flat car might be useful for checking track work when you get to that stage, which might come soon with the progress youíre making.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  11:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad to see you building!

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  11:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen construction notes or have suggestions on the 'removable bridge' section? My first thought was a swinging gate, which would provide stability, but then I realized it probably wouldn't quite fit the way I wanted. So now I'm thinking about a drop-in section. It'll be about 4' long.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  12:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Iíve built a couple of removable sections over the years, one a rather short 2í and the other about 4í. Both were made for removal on a regular basis. The longer one was across a window and I removed and replaced it twice a year to allow me to put in or take out a window ac unit. I built it pretty light and over about a decade it sagged. My approach was to have little shelves at the ends of the permanent benchwork on which the section rested. I had a couple shims to bring the track into alignment and I used clamps to hold everything together. The idea was sound but I needed to have built the section a little heavier.

Your situation is a little different because you might never have to remove the section. I would built a box, the ends of which might even have scenery profiles.it would bolt to benchwork on either side. Track support, roadbed would also be independent of either side. You could lay the track across the joints, but solder the rails to brass screws like many do with modules. You could cut the rail if and when you had to remove the section for panel access.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  2:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The section will be "normally removed," so I'll definitely need to build this to make sure it doesn't warp, etc. The plywood section in front of the electrical closet is different from the removable bridge so you can get to the main shop/living space in the basement. On the track plan, this is the section in yellow at the bottom center of the drawing.

dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  2:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I got this right, it is a narrow piece of "bridge". How about if you used some aluminum angle pieces? You could bolt them together to make a "T" section that would be very stable. Aluminum is light and easy to drill/cut. You could screw a piece of plywood to the top to add scenery to.
Cheers,
dave

Donald Ball
New Hire

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  2:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Donald Ball's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I built and have been using a swinging gate on the main line of my railroad. It is opened several times each session and there are no problems with the latching or sagging. Its basis are steel columns for the supports and an aluminum channel for the gate itself. I will send you more information in a private email.

Don Ball
Stockton & Copperopolis RR

Norton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  2:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about you make it a down swinging section? Hinge one end and use aluminum L brackets under the top of the section to align the other end. Using the 'solder the rails to brass screws' idea, there will be no track alignment problems and it will all be light weight. Since there will be minimal scenery on it the only concern should be moving past the bridge when you use the door. This too can be addressed by making the bridge section slightly longer on the hinged end so when it's dropped down, the actual bridge clears the door to allow full width access through the doorway.

Is that a clear enough description of what I'm suggesting?

The V & T lives in my garage. Soon...

Norton

Page: of 40 Previous Topic: Jamboree Kit Topic Next Topic: Transition Era Road and Street Striping  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000